ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (10/33) > >>

Darwin:
2Darwin
Previously this page offered download links with possibility to choose versions according to language and 32/64 bits.
-fenixproductions (January 09, 2009, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah yes, you're right I was monitoring that page myself. I was thinking that maybe the beta coming soon notice meant that they were finally ready to start rolling it out...

Hirudin:
I hope the 2.5 million copies haven't been downloaded... I doubt that many people got through that server mess.

If they think they're serving 2.5 million ~3gb downloads I hope they're prepared.
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/28/live-cashback-having-a-bad-black-friday/

Darwin:
According to this Lifehacker article, the whole thing has been put on hold while MS gets its server ready to dea with demand...

f0dder:
According to this Lifehacker article, the whole thing has been put on hold while MS gets its server ready to dea with demand...
-Darwin (January 09, 2009, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
*grin*

Again, the silly-heads should use .torrents for distribution. Of course the sheer amount of hits trying to get the .torrent file would be massive as well, but still...

Hirudin:
Yeah, bittorrent is the way to go for files like these. Microsoft would have to release some kind of small "ISO checker" program that people could download to verify that the torrent is complete/legitimate after it's finished downloading.

Actually, I wish MS would release something like this for all their CDs. I really want a Vista w/ SP1 ISO (since slipstreaming isn't supported any more) but I can't find anyone with a real (pressed) copy and I don't trust non-official torrents for software I've actually paid for.

The page now says:
Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal -- we’re in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We’re sorry for the delay and we’ll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version