ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (5/33) > >>

Hirudin:
So, 7 minutes to go and the RSS feed doesn't really work. I wonder if there's any reason to think we'll be able to actually download the ISO tonight...

MrCrispy:
MrCrispy: which build does MSDN offer, and do you know if it's the same build that's going public-beta tomorrow?
-f0dder (January 08, 2009, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Its the exact build that will be given to the public (x86 and x64). Build number is 7000.0.081212-1400 

justice:
Windows 7 site seems already slow with people checking for the ISO, so be smart and use the Coral Content Delivery Network (add nyud.net to the hostname - should even work for the iso):
http://www.microsoft.com.nyud.net/windows/windows-7/

Deozaan:
Where's the link to the beta? I can't find it on the site.

Must be too early at Microsoft HQ. Five minutes to 6AM in Washington.

EDIT: Just saw this on the Windows 7 site:

Want to try the Beta? Come back the afternoon of January 9. And remember—this is just a preview. There's more to come. -http://www.microsoft.com.nyud.net/windows/windows-7/
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
I came across this article: Reasons to skip Windows 7 Beta download.

As many of you know, I’m a hardcore Mac guy - but I wasn’t always this way. My experiences with Windows Vista sent me over the edge, prompting me to add the “hardcore” next to my “Mac guy” title. Still, I was excited to hear that Microsoft is releasing a beta download of Windows 7 on Friday - a move that might slow the switch-to-Mac momentum out there if the beta testers offer positive reviews. Just this morning, I thought about looking for my own Vista notebook. (My wife put it away after I was ready to literally toss it out of a second-floor window.)

But then I decided against the download and install. Given what I now know about the process, it already seems to be more trouble than its worth. Consider the following:
--- End quote ---

Read the rest of the article here.

My opinion on the article:

First of all I personally think the guy is a typical Mac fanboy. He clearly announces it in the first sentence of the article. And some of the reasons why he suggests skipping Windows 7 Beta seem superfluous; he mentions things like "be prepared to lose data" since all beta software has the potential to mess things up and he also quotes Ed Bott, who was speculating (i.e. guessing) when he said "good luck finding drivers for your hardware."

And the final thing that removes most credibility from the guy for me is this quote:

I know, I know. Many of you are probably thinking that I’m biased because I’ve gulped down Apple’s Kool-Aid and probably have already been labeled a Windows Hater. But I wasn’t always like this - Windows made me this way. That’s what made me switch - before switching was cool.
--- End quote ---

He says he switched to Macs before switching was cool, but in the second sentence of the article he says he became a hardcore Mac user because Vista drove him crazy. Is he serious? It was very cool to switch to Macs after Vista came out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version