ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (3/33) > >>

MrCrispy:
I got it off MSDN and am running it right now as the main OS on my laptop and in 2 VM's. Even with 512MB in VirtualBox its perfectly usable.

f0dder:
MrCrispy: which build does MSDN offer, and do you know if it's the same build that's going public-beta tomorrow?

Ehtyar:
We're gonna try it today on a proper box to try out aero. I'll let you know how it goes.
At one stage we ran it in VirtualBox with 1024 megs of ram and it ran faster than the Vista host.

Ehtyar.

[edit]
It was questioned in the IRC channel (JOIN IT!!) how this was possible. So it doesn't look like I'm full of it, here is the explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Hardware_support
[/edit]

f0dder:
Ehtyar: so, does VirtualBox virtualize the GPU, including 3D capabilites? That sounds like a seriously massive undertaking... and that's (imho) the only way for graphics to be able to run faster than the host.

If you're talking about the rest of the system running faster than the host, that would be doable with normal virtualization, even without hardware support (by doing the clever tricks vmware used to do before the VMX instruction set).

Ehtyar:
Ah f0d man, always the skeptic.

The graphics in a VM suck ofc (as you knew before posting that reply :P). I meant just in general usability. IE in the VM noticeably outperformed IE in Vista, as did Firefox. This is also as a comparison to Vista, which certainly doesn't run faster than a host in a VM.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version