ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (14/33) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Anyone had any joy getting either 32 bit or 64 bit versions to install?

I have tried both and for both versions I get to the point were windows is starting up for the first time and then it goes into an endless reboot cycle.

Each install was performed on a clean empty primary partition.

Deozaan:
Here's how to get your license key for Windows 7 Beta. I just tried this and it worked for me.

Here's the steps for a key:

1. Visit TechNet Downloads, sign in at the top right and let the page load
   2. Within the same window copy and paste "https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/scripts/gcs.aspx?Product=tn-win7-64-ww&LCID=1033" into the address bar or "https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/scripts/gcs.aspx?Product=tn-win7-32-ww&LCID=1033" (64bit key but will work on 32 too, if you get an error refresh a few times)...enjoy the result below (32 bit link seems to work better), whilst stocks last. If you are still having issues try clearing your temp files and deleting all cookies.-http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key
--- End quote ---

EDIT: From the same webpage it says there's a bug in Windows 7 Beta that corrupts your MP3 files.

Microsoft is also providing a QFE patch for the MP3 corruption issues that have plagued build 7000, this should be online shortly as KB961367. It's extremely important you apply this patch as you may lose parts of your MP3s if the patch is not applied. 32bit and 64bit patches are now available.
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
-Carol Haynes (January 10, 2009, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I installed the 32bit version just fine in Windows Virtual PC 2007. But then when I tried to install the Virtual Machine tools it prevented Win7 from booting up. That's when I found out Win7 has a neat little "Your PC can't be booted right now. We'll see if we can fix it."

I think it did a system restore automatically (well, it prompted me to do one), and it worked. :Thmbsup:

f0dder:

I have tried both and for both versions I get to the point were windows is starting up for the first time and then it goes into an endless reboot cycle.

Each install was performed on a clean empty primary partition.
-Carol Haynes (January 10, 2009, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
32bit installed just fine for me under vmware, as mentioned above. Just don't install accelerated video driver for vmware, the rest of the vmware tools (NIC and mouse driver) work fine, though. And after the hard-reset, I got a "want to fix stuff auto?" kinda thing, which did a system restore. Glad I hadn't turned that off as I usually do :)

Oh, and it did insist on creating a 200MB "boot partition" kind of thing - at least I couldn't figure out how to stop it from doing so. That partition includes the BCD and whatnot.

As for the MP3 bug, that's only if you use windows media player - and who does? :)

Darwin:
Thanks Deozaan! That just worked for me as well  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version