ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (26/33) > >>

40hz:

I am deliberately running Windows 7  on an older machine that couldn't adequately handle Vista to get a better idea of how W7 stacks up.

ComponentDetails

Score   Component
------  -----------
4.1     Processor
4.1     Memory (RAM)
2.0     Graphics
3.0     Gaming graphics
2.0     Primary hard disk

------------------------------------------------

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ 1.50GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 (Prerelease - WDDM 1.0)
575 MB Total available graphics memory
45GB Free (58GB Total)

--- End quote ---

Finishing up Day-1 with the little beastie. Office 2k7 works just fine, as does Firefox 3.0.5. Interface is almost snappy despite the fact that I have a very poor Windows performance score.

I was happy to see an earlier problem I had with Windows Explorer closing and restarting every time I changed my desktop theme seems to have been corrected with an online driver update through the Device Manager. Pretty cool.

Zero3K:
Are you sure it has anything to do with recovery? It sure doesn't look that way to me... (see attachment in previous post)
-f0dder (January 12, 2009, 12:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

WinRE is installed in \Recovery\RANDOMNUMBERS

f0dder:
Are you sure it has anything to do with recovery? It sure doesn't look that way to me... (see attachment in previous post)
-f0dder (January 12, 2009, 12:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
WinRE is installed in \Recovery\RANDOMNUMBERS
-Zero3K (January 12, 2009, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
...which isn't present on the BCD volume Win7 created on my install, but is present in %SYSTEMDRIVE% (ie., C:, where the rest of the Win7 files go).

justice:
are games any faster?

Darwin:
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions re: installing Windows 7 64-bit as a guest OS on a virtual machine. In the end, I elected to simply download the 32-bit version and get on with my life  ;D

It installed quite quickly. I assigned a gig of RAM to it and it's rather sluggish compared to Vista on 4 gig and XP on 2, but what does on expect?! I'm pretty pleased with the overall fit and finish, but rather nonplussed overall - it really does feel more like a new Vista theme than anything else. Having said that, I've not done more than open up the new Paint for a look, so early days yet. Will look more carefully at it over the coming week and post some impressions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version