ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2007

Mark Forster seeking beta testers for Autofocus

<< < (4/5) > >>

tomos:

I missed this
The Revised Autofocus System

also available in many other languages

mouser:
Interesting.

Personally one of the best moves for me was to stop keeping lists with lots of items on it, and move to a card-based system with one short "todo" item on each card.  I find it a lot less distracting, and a lot easier to manage and focus on.

Paul Keith:
For people interested in applying the revised version in software form, Nowdothis.com is better optimized for this task than other popular online to-do lists.

It's not truly online though. You'll pretty much see what I mean.

Also apologize for sounding like I'm shilling the site. I still can't fathom what's awesome about AutoFocus even with the Revised version but when I read it, the model of the site immediately came to mind.

tomos:
I still can't fathom what's awesome about AutoFocus even with the Revised version but when I read it, the model of the site immediately came to mind.
-Paul Keith (September 08, 2009, 01:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

have you tried it yet Paul?!

and no,
I'm not saying it's awesome :) it actually hasn't suit my needs for the last while anyways, but I'm looking forward to trying out the 'new' version and I guess I just pointing out you cant really knock something like that till you've tried it ;)

edit/ going to give it another go . .

Paul Keith:
(Btw I didn't read the blog comments so I apologize if these are repeated points)

No, unfortunately I haven't. I no longer have lists that follow a list format and the ones that do, follow a priority system based on length estimate + length desire than the order of AutoFocus.

Most of my reasons though are more personal roadblocks rather than the above. (since I can create a list anyway)

Feel free to call me elitist and stubborn but when I read the 3 outlines, I can't help but think I had done it before on instinct. (although I felt it was ingenious to market those as a revised system for Autofocus)

Reverse mode is basically "kill your critical mind" mode which is familiar to many people from all walks of life. You're also screwed if you're dealing with projects as opposed to minor tasks. (even small ones)

You're also screwed if you already mentally self-organize this when creating your one big list.

I also feel like he rushed the concept when he said, one should always start in Reverse Mode.

The reality is that you can only do enough of Reverse Mode before you're just turning it into a habit of doing the most recent tasks. It would have been more valuable in the long run if he created the idea of alternating between Forward and Reverse when you're starting the list. Instead, he relies on switching this only when you've got it going. By that point, it doesn't matter. You're already rolling forward.

Both Forward Mode and Review Mode pretty much still seems like Autofocus in the beginning.

Ultimately though, I found that the more I focus on my productivity, the more I can no longer manage to follow these lists.

Sure I'm not that much more productive than I was before but I just further sink into paralysis by analysis whenever I apply any traditional list system. It's like I can't get past one task anymore even if it's just writing that task down. It's "too much thought".

Edit: My apologies if the above post came off rude.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version