ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do I get rid of hidden characters like †in text file ?

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
tomos: when you see that "broken utf-8" on the web, it's probably the HTML document encoding type that hasn't been set properly - all current browsers should be able to render utf-8 just fine.

cyberdiva: some editors do support unicode documents, but fail to auto-detect document encoding if the document doesn't start with a BOM... kinda similar to the broken webpages not specifying document encoding.

cyberdiva:
cyberdiva: some editors do support unicode documents, but fail to auto-detect document encoding if the document doesn't start with a BOM... kinda similar to the broken webpages not specifying document encoding.
-f0dder (January 04, 2009, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the info, f0dder.  AFAIK, the program I had trouble with most recently unfortunately does not support unicode: askSam 7, a flexible database program that I like a lot (when I don't hate it  ;D ).  There have been a number of messages on their forum complaining about the total lack of unicode support. 

f0dder:
The thing wrt. Unicode is that you really ought to design your programs with it in mind from the start, it can quickly become a major bother trying to retrofit support. And if you use 3rd-party components without unicode support, you might have to include both ANSI and UNICODE stuff, massage data around in the right formats, etc. Slightly++ messy :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version