ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bad smells ... UPS recommendations ?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Mark0:
I have used an APC BK500 at home for 7-8 years, and it was still able to power the PC for some minutes when the light went out. At worked we used & installed a lot of them and never had any issues.

Bye!

Shades:
Here in Paraguay there is an US embassy. Annually they sell all kind of things as their old(er) computer gear, home stuff from personnel that moved to another country etc. etc.

At one of those sales I saw a box with old diverse computer gear, books etc. Made an offer and became the owner. To my surprise there were four APC UPS's below the gear and books, so that was 50 US dollars well spent!  :up:

But then reality sets in, because the US embassy uses 110 volt gear while everything here is 220 volt. So now I have nice US APC UPS's that I cannot use at all. It is kinda silly to first use a transformer (220 to 110) to connect the UPS to the grid and use a transformer (110 to 220) for each output to hook up my gear :(

There is also a RadioShack here that only sells gear running on 110 volt. Not only is it an expensive place by default, you also need to buy a transformer as well.

Why oh why do they (still !!!) use 110 volt?

40hz:
-Shades (December 27, 2008, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gerald Weinberg said it the best:

"Things are the way they are because they got to be that way."

Put another way: The US uses 110-volts because that's what it uses.

Way back in the early days of electrical power, the US was one of the first places to wire itself up. And at the time, for various reasons, a 110-115 volt standard was considered the best way to go.

Years later, after better information was available, most other countries saw the advantages of going with a 220-volt standard. Unfortunately, by then the USA was sitting on a huge infrastructure of generators, wiring, and electrical devices running on the older voltage - and it was just too expensive to change. And with each passing year it became even more so.

So once again, in most cases, "good-enough" trumps "better" if "better" comes with a price tag. ;D

cranioscopical:
-Shades (December 27, 2008, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's because, currently, the powers that be meet resistance when trying to move ohm.

cranioscopical:
At first I thought it was something the cats had eaten but eventually tracked it down to a Belkin UPS.
-Carol Haynes (December 26, 2008, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tsk!  You should never run the Orangutang railway line from one of those!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version