ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Calendar Math, which language to use?

<< < (3/4) > >>

kovi2:
Hmmm... that sounds great... how did you propose the question to mathematica? Will i have to learn a specialized syntax? Can you show the example above...
also can it output a calendar with the dates highlighted?
-vixay (December 25, 2008, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
The syntax would be easy: you want to have the first Sats from each month, you can use SelectDays[2009, {Saturday}, 1] or the one before the last one then SelectDays[2009, {Saturday}, -2] (as such -1 means the last one). The calendar output can also be solvable as my time permits. But I see iZeist could better be your choice.

housetier:
@ housetier, you might want to know that there is a problem with the coding of your pages  versus the translating service you are using. You are using ISO 8859-1, but the service is using UTF-8, which means that I can never see both parts properly.-Curt (December 24, 2008, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't know we had a translation service... but I'll forward it to our webmasters. thanks.

vixay:
Hmmm... that sounds great... how did you propose the question to mathematica? Will i have to learn a specialized syntax? Can you show the example above...
also can it output a calendar with the dates highlighted?
-vixay (December 25, 2008, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
The syntax would be easy: you want to have the first Sats from each month, you can use SelectDays[2009, {Saturday}, 1] or the one before the last one then SelectDays[2009, {Saturday}, -2] (as such -1 means the last one). The calendar output can also be solvable as my time permits. But I see iZeist could better be your choice.
-kovi2 (December 25, 2008, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

You know this is very close to the question I'd proposed in the first post. So it does seem good. I also recently saw some article about mathematica's awesome image processing capabilities so maybe this is a worthwhile tool to have around... i'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info, and let me know if you come across the calendar output.

/EDIT

I checked it out, mathematica retails for $1,750, so it's not a good idea unless you already have access to it . However it does have a  Free Mathematica player, maybe if you create a "notebook" we can play with it in the player? I don't know how it really works. But apparently you can publish apps in it.

kovi2:
You know this is very close to the question I'd proposed in the first post. So it does seem good. I also recently saw some article about mathematica's awesome image processing capabilities so maybe this is a worthwhile tool to have around... i'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info, and let me know if you come across the calendar output.
-vixay (December 25, 2008, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, I will.
I checked it out, mathematica retails for $1,750, so it's not a good idea unless you already have access to it . However it does have a  Free Mathematica player, maybe if you create a "notebook" we can play with it in the player? I don't know how it really works. But apparently you can publish apps in it.
-vixay (December 25, 2008, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, unfortunately it's not among the cheapest software. If you saw it somewhere for $1,750, that's still not bad since in their own online store it would be $2,495... (Fortunately I manged to get it few years before for the fraction of the original price, and since I just keep it upgraded as I use it for work.)

My first idea was to put a solution to a webMathematica-driven website where either some GUI would be implemented or a webservice (SOAP) could provide the requested information. But yes, you are right, I could create a small application which you can use with the free Player as well.

kovi2:
So I can imagine something similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version