ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Question about my video card temperature

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have a variety of BFG GeForce 7300GTOC cards and they are regularly that sort of temperature (even with a fan). Doesn't seem to cause a problem though.

Biggest problem I have is that the fans a very noisy and replacing them means sending the cards back to BFG as they won't supply replacements and they carry a lifetime warranty which would be invalidated if I use an alternative fan assembly. Shame they can't install better quality fans!

nosh:
gexecuter,

I had a GEForce 6200 and it drove me nuts with overheating problems, causing crashes whenever I used anything graphics intensive (which for some reason also included scrolling a web page with Firefox 2  ;D). It took me a while to figure out it was an overheating problem - the fix I used was crude but 100% effective - I attached a tiny fan blowing into the heatsink using a piece of string.

Can't recall the exact temperatures it was hitting but it was way over 69C IIRC, so your problem could very likely be something else.

gexecuter:
So today i remembered that one of the first things i did when i got the card was to run it trough GPU-Z. GPU-Z allows you to send your results into an online database so i though i'll check my old results VS the one i get now.

Old GPU-Z result

New GPU-Z result

Notice something different? let me give you a hint: The damn memory clock is overclocked by 100% no wonder i had slowdowns since my little card can't take such speeds, i got lucky that my card didn't fried or something. I have no idea how the overclock happened since i don't even know how to overclock so how do i set the memory clock back to how it was before? Any software i can use? this sucks :/

Edit: I downloaded and installed RivaTuner and used this guide in order to drop the memory clock by 5 MHZ using the driver mode. I was going to drop it to 266 MHZ at once but i didn't know if that was prudent so should i drop the memory clock in 5MHZ each time or should i drop it all at once? never done this kinda of thing before.

Shades:
Doesn't the driver software for nVidia cards contain a software-based overclocker? (belong to the ATI cult myself)

This Google search will reveal more  :)

gexecuter:
Doesn't the driver software for nVidia cards contain a software-based overclocker? (belong to the ATI cult myself)

This Google search will reveal more  :)

-Shades (December 25, 2008, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually installed Ntune. It looked just like the nvidia control panel that i already had, i couldn't find the overclocking options so i went back to Rivatuner. Using RivaTuner i was finally able to drop the memory clock to 270 MHZ. Unfortunately RivaTuner couldn't make the changes permanent which is what i wanted, it had to install a little startup entry in order to set the memory clock every time Windows booted. It sucks but it's the best i can do for now.
I will probably have to mess with the video card bios so i don't have to use Rivatuner anymore, i will probably do it later tough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version