ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

3rd party software raid 1 in Winxp

(1/1)

imtrobin:
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation for a 3rd party software to do raid 1 mirroring (non system drive) in winxp? I'm familiar with the other options (winxp mirroring hack, on board raid, hardware raid, add on pci card, raid 5, linux etc) but I'm just looking for a software solution which can reliability do mirror in winxp. Any ideas?

f0dder:
Try searching the board for MirrorFolder, it has an operating mode where it uses a Filter Driver to replicate changes in a RAID-1 like fashion. It works at file rather than block level (which means you can make it mirror only part of a filesystem hierarchy), but thanks to the filter driver approach it only mirrors actual changes: ie, 1 byte modified in a 10gig file only causes that one byte to be updated, not the entire 10gig file being synced1.

Other than that, I dunno. You might want to google "RAIDCore", but I'm not sure that runs without a hardware adapter.

#1 - to be pedantic: of course you get a full sector update since that's the smallest addressable unit on a harddrive.

Carol Haynes:
Have a look at http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1025304/setup_raid1_on_windows_xp_professional/

I have never tired it so can't comment but likes like what you want.

f0dder:
Carol: does that involve hacking system files? In that case, I wouldn't recommend it :)

imtrobin:
Thanks. Raidcore looks like it needs a hardware adaptor. MirrorFolder looks like the one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version