ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

Opinions wanted

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
as i finish up the review i'd really appreciate any opinions people might have on these tools.

https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/DialogExtenders/index.html

come on guys/gals, help me out by installing the trial versions and letting me know you opinion on which is best and why.

m_s:
I had never heard of such things until I read the first part of your review yesterday, Mouser, and I went straight for the open source option, and it's great!  DM2 is very stable and its 'minimize to floating icon' feature is excellent.  I also like the fact it includes virtual desktops, which I have often found useful, but seldom continued to run for more than a few days, because many of the solutions I've tested have been quite resource-heavy.  DM2 runs so light that it's no problem at all just having it there in the background, and I can use the second (third, fourth ... eighth) desktop when I need it.  I haven't tested any of the others, because I don't think it is likely I would pay for this kind of software.  Thanks for pointing out a whole new category of useful programs.

mouser:
dm2 has great promise but it is lacking some key features for this review
(though it has tons of extra features as you say that others dont).

Armando:
Interesting subject. The only software of that kind I've tried (and still using) is OpenWide. Not that I like it that much but when I first found it I thought it was very useful (just to get the &?%#*&!  "save" or "open" windows bigger!) I will try the other one, now that I have a list. (P.S. : compared to the others, OpenWide seems to be kinda thin... But might satisfy users with very very basic needs -- It's very stable (never crashed once) and does what it's supposed to do -- not on 100% windows though).

Armando:
FileBox uses a bit too much RAM, I find (usually around 10mb -- compared to dm2, for instance, which uses between 1 and 3mb). In my case (pentium IV, 512mb RAM with shared video mem) it's a bit too much for such a tool. The lighter, the better. Off course, it has to be stable and efficient. DM2 works well for now (doesn't work with MS word save or open windows, though... but it's okay because it's the least annoying one), and seems to be stable... Lots of options. Which key features are lacking? I'm curious...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version