ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (48/67) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I think the reason sites use multipage articles is for speed of loading. Don't forget some people are on narrowband packages (such as dial up) so they don't necessarily want a 10 page article with 30 pictures that takes 10 minutes to load.

Not sure but it probably also helps with boosting search engine rankings because one article might generate 10 index entries.

superboyac:
I think the reason sites use multipage articles is for speed of loading. Don't forget some people are on narrowband packages (such as dial up) so they don't necessarily want a 10 page article with 30 pictures that takes 10 minutes to load.

Not sure but it probably also helps with boosting search engine rankings because one article might generate 10 index entries.
-Carol Haynes (January 13, 2009, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
There may be some truth to that, but I suspect that the speed of loading has very little to do with it.  Why would yahoo all of a sudden make us click a button to expand an article with no pictures?  If they really cared, they would remove all the the ads around those little-bitty paragraphs and put the article pictures in their place.  I'm almost sure they could care less about loading speed.

Deozaan:
I'd think it has a lot to do with more exposure to advertising.

superboyac:
I'd think it has a lot to do with more exposure to advertising.
-Deozaan (January 13, 2009, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
True.  The bottom line is that it ends up being a miserable experience for the readers.  But I suppose it's not different than other mediums like TV or movies.  1/3 of a TV episode is commercials.  1/2 hour of previews for movies.  Un-skippable portions at the beginning of DVD's for disclaimers.

How about sports highlights?  What about replays during games?  All of these things are ruined by reasons other than what the viewer wants.  Ugh.

40hz:

[/quote]
I'm going to write a nice formal article about it on my website, with pictures and everything.  And it will be all on one page, so it will probably be a long article.  -superboyac (January 13, 2009, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

:-* :-* :-*  All on a single page? You are my hero!  :-* :-* :-*

One thing I learned from all this:  I HATE all these multi-page articles from these hardware review sites.  Seriously, what is UP with that!!?  Who started this?  I can't stand how one site will do something, and then everyone will start copying it just because their website content is similar.  Who's the person that said, "I have a hardware review site, so I should make all my articles 7 pages long."  It's so freaking ridiculous.  Most of these articles go way overboard, they literally have like 2 paragraphs per page.  It uses up about 2 inches of your screen, maybe an inch and a half wide.  Absolutely insane.

--- End quote ---

I think part of it is motivated by click ad revenue considerations; and the other part is everybody gearing up for mobile browsing on netbooks and cellphones.

Why anybody would want to read a detailed tech article on a tiny screen is anybody's guess, but that's my  :two:

But it comes as no surprise. Half the web design articles I'm seeing keep pushing RSS  feeds and formatting for handheld devices as the major design objective. And considering how half the websites out there seem to be using either a CMS or blog engine, unique web design seems to be going the way of the dodo for most sites.

Welcome to the World Wide Strip Mallâ„¢.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version