ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (43/67) > >>

superboyac:
Well, I ran the WD Diagnostics on my new drive, and everything seems fine.  I don't know what the reallocated sector numbers mean, but there's a checkmark there, so I'm assuming it's ok.

f0dder:
The problem with S.M.A.R.T is that it's a brilliant idea, but the specification & implementation is retarded - there really isn't any standard as for what the raw values mean, so the only thing an application can logically test is whether the value falls below the threshold.

IMHO there should have been specifications for at least the common values - ie., reallocated sector count should be (duh!) the count of sectors that have been reallocated, HD temperature should be mentioned in Celsius, etc. (OK, some values wouldn't fit within a single byte then, but the field size coooould be extended).

Anyway, I'd say the drive is good to go :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Anyway, I'd say the drive is good to go :Thmbsup
-f0dder (January 08, 2009, 12:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks fodder.

superboyac:
Carol, I read this at NCIXUS (where I plan to buy the monitors, they have a sale).  Is this true?:
This is a nice crisp, attractive monitor, however the maximum resolution is only 1920 x 1080 rather than 1920 x 1200 which is common for all other 24 inc monitors
--- End quote ---

Also, in case of dead pixels, ncixus offers an "express coverage" for about $30 where I can RMA the monitor back in 30 days.  Is that worth it?  Shouldn't I be able to return it regardless if it has dead pixels?

Carol Haynes:
I don't know because it isn't the same model that I have (mine is the pre-HDMI model). There is a more recent review that speciafically say it does support 1920x1200 (and mine certainly does).

The reviewer you quoted seems to be the odd one out in the list of reviews. If it is anything like mine brightness certainly isn't an issue (in fact you may want to tone it down a bit!).

WRT pixels - each manufacturer has a policy of a 'permissible' number of dead pixels before the product is considered faulty. I am not sure what BenQ's policy is. In theory you could get an LCD monitor from any manufacturer with a couple of dead pixels and not have any recourse to warranty. Having said that I have had two BenQ monitors and neither have had any dead pixels and if one had arrived with even one dead pixel I would have returned it immediately for refund or replacement. UK law allows any one buying via 'distance selling' a cooling off period of 7 days after receipt of goods during which you can return the goods for any reason for a refund (except for perishable items and media like CDs and DVDs - in which case they can only be returned if they are faulty or have not been unsealed).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version