ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (42/67) > >>

f0dder:
Note that the "fill with zeroes" step is quite different from the "full surface scan" step. Surface scan only does reading, and can thus detect sectors that are already bad (and to a large degree also detect "new" bad sectors). Writing zeroes will likely discover more bad sectors than just reading and it will also trigger the drive's "sector reallocation" mechanism - which will then show up in the S.M.A.R.T stats.

4wd:
Don't do it - if it is anything like my experience before you know it you will fill it up on your old system and then you'll have to go and buy another one ;)
-Carol Haynes (January 07, 2009, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is so, so true.....

Carol Haynes:
Glad I am not alone. I now have 3 Seagate external USB drives absolutely full and they were meant to be used for system backups. (To be fair one of the drives has one backup on it!)

40hz:
Far from alone:

Hi. My name is 40hz...and I'm a squirrel.

I'm looking at 3 different 160-300Gb external drives plus one 500Gb drive (half full) loaded with all sorts of interesting software, pdf files, mirrored websites, Project Gutenberg books, music projects, artwork, animations, etc. etc. etc. that I'm definitely going to sort through "as soon as I get a slow day or two."

(Yeah right...)

8)

superboyac:
^^^ Ha!  Nice pic.  Reminds me of one of my graduation pictures:
Please help me build my new computer, DC!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version