ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (25/67) > >>

40hz:
Let's not focus on cutting costs quite yet.  The truth is, I can afford it no matter what.  So let's get all nice, premium parts for now, and if I feel uncomfortable with it at the end, we'll discuss cutting costs.
-superboyac (December 20, 2008, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! Where where you back when I was building custom workstations and servers? ;D

Those bang for the buck articles are good, I'm reading them right now...how much do you hate all the multi-page articles? 
--- End quote ---

I despise them. That's why I always go down to the bottom of the page and hit the little "Print" button to reformat the articles to one page. (Unfortunately, you lose the graphics and photos when you do that so it still sucks. :down:)

superboyac:
Well, after reading that LCD thread, I think it's clear to me that the BenQ G2400WD is the monitor to get.  It's around $300, which is almost half the cost of the "next level"monitors in that category.  It's ranked higher than my Dell 2408 and still $200 cheaper.  I could even get two of them.  Or one BenQ and another Dell, I don't know.  Nice one Carol...you recommended the BenQ earlier!

I've updated my list to two BenQ's:
[Click here to return to first post and see updated system components & price]

superboyac:
Wow! Where where you back when I was building custom workstations and servers? ;D
-40hz (December 20, 2008, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can afford them, but it doesn't mean I'll spend it.  I'm still a cheapskate!

superboyac:
I've updated for my sound card selection.  This is probably the only uncommon piece of my system.  Since I record music from my piano, I need a special sound card that has certain low-latency abilities, called ASIO.  These are normally only available on pro-level sound cards (although regular cards have the ability nowadays to some degree).  Anyway, since my current sound card is still the current budget model of the M-Audio brand, I'm just going to keep it.  But I'm adding that Mackie Big Knob as my mixer/router.

My normal windows audio will run through the motherboard sound.  If, for some reason, that is inadequate, I'll get an additional board, like a Turtle Beach or something, which is what I have in my current computer (or I'll just transfer that one over).  I'm not going to be using any multiple speaker setup anytime soon (like 7.1 surround), so I don't need anything fancy.  Currently, I use my keyboard amp (Roland) for all audio from my computer, 1 speaker.  I don't need much else for now.  In about 3 years, I'll get a better setup.

[Click here to return to first post and see updated system components & price]

superboyac:
Now, I need help choosing a graphics card.

I currently have an ATI 9600XT, it's fine.  I'm looking, as usual, for a bang for the buck card here.  I'm not a gamer, but I'd like something decent.  I don't know if I need anything special for supporting two monitors, but if so, please consider that.  I don't know anything about graphics cards.

Also, maybe tv input would be nice, in case I live somewhere with cable in the room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version