ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (15/67) > >>

superboyac:
I have found this PSU calculator to be very handy for that. Make sure you check it out, especially with the amount of different components you're already considering.
-city_zen (December 18, 2008, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks!  I did a quick calc, not knowing what all the items were.  I came up with 703 W.

f0dder:
I'm as much impressed by what it doesn't include as I am by what it does. I'd actually have liked it even more if they didn't include the audio components.-40hz (December 18, 2008, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why? On-board audio is decent enough for casual use these days (I haven't bothered with soundcards for years). And in case you have an amplifier with optical (and thus digital) in, are you going to be able to hear any difference between onboard sound and a fancy addon board? :)

I have found this PSU calculator to be very handy for that. Make sure you check it out, especially with the amount of different components you're already considering.
-city_zen (December 18, 2008, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks!  I did a quick calc, not knowing what all the items were.  I came up with 703 W.-superboyac (December 18, 2008, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
That sounds over-dimensioned to me.

Q6600 overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz, 4x2Gig DDR2-667 ram, 2x74gig 10k rpm raptors, intel PCI-e NIC, GF800/GT-512meg and two optical drives run at ~250W when maxxed out.

mouser:
f0dder is always right about these things, but there is also something to be said for getting a bigger psu than you think you need and better memory than you think you need.

and that reason has to do with how infuriatingly mysterious memory chip and psu problems can be.  it's one of those cases where it may be better to be safe than sorry.

f0dder:
mouser: if you get an over-dimensioned PSU, it's not going to run at very high efficiency, and will thus waste power. It's better to get a PSU that's "a bit beyond" what you need (so you run at something like 80% capacity when under full load), and of course go for a PSU that can deliver stable voltages at that watt consumption.

I went for a 750W PSU for my system, which I kinda regret - it's way overkill.

superboyac:
mouser: if you get an over-dimensioned PSU, it's not going to run at very high efficiency, and will thus waste power. It's better to get a PSU that's "a bit beyond" what you need (so you run at something like 80% capacity when under full load), and of course go for a PSU that can deliver stable voltages at that watt consumption.

I went for a 750W PSU for my system, which I kinda regret - it's way overkill.
-f0dder (December 18, 2008, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, my first PSU on my current computer simultaneously ruined my graphics card and monitor because it was undersized.  So I got one that is probably way overkill.  I have a lot of things connected to my computer.  5 hard drives, 8 usb slots at least, the regular motherboard/chip/ram etc, midi, 2 monitors.  I know when I used the calculator above, I totally overestimated everything.  So I don't know.  Maybe I'll go lower than 750W, but I'd want to be on the safe side (like mouser said).  I'll do the calc again when I've picked all my parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version