ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (12/67) > >>

Lashiec:
Is it me or is it a bit odd to have the power supply at the bottom of the case under the motherboard? Two things strike me:

* first heat rises so the PSU will add to mobo heat (OK with a cood PSU and a decent fan it shouldn't be a big problem but it is an odd placement)
* second all the cables to connect to the motherboard are likely to have to cross the motherboard and this will disrupt air flow and hence cooling. It is to be hoped that the DVD power cables are long enough to stretch that far - but generally the ATX power socket is towards the top of the board or the right of the board so the thick cable is likely to be in the way of any air flow from front to rear fans????
What do others think?
-Carol Haynes (December 16, 2008, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it's pretty common in high-end cases, though they use partitioned cooling zones. A good example of this is the Antec P182.

Precisely by what you say in the first point, it's a better idea to have the PSU in the bottom. With the PSU on top, normally you have to expel not only the heat produced by it, but also the heat that raises from the CPU, and possibly from the GPU, and let's leave aside the heated air that is circulating around the case. You have a hot spot there, and for example, in my computer, when it's idle the only 'hot' zone in the entire case is the PSU. With the PSU in the bottom, even if the heat raises from there, it's minimal because the PSU is closed tight, and has no vents, so the only heat you get is the one that heats the air that is floating around the top part of the PSU. All in all, it's more efficient, and if you isolate the PSU zone you get even better results.

As for the second point, yes, you're right there. You need longer cables to reach some places, and to not disrupt the air flow you have to some cable routing. Perhaps that's why as lately some cases are designed to let the cables to be routed behind the motherboard tray. Cables are usually long enough, but there's always the odd PSU that is not, and you need extenders.

superboyac:
Thanks Lashiec, that's helpful information.  What's your opinion on the Cooler Master case I've chosen?  I like the brand, I think they make well-built products.  The case supports up to 7 120mm fans.

cranioscopical:
The case supports up to 7 120mm fans.
-superboyac (December 17, 2008, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
My goodness!  You'll have to tether it to the desktop or it'll be hovering at the ceiling  ;D

40hz:
I just bought this case from Newegg.

CoolerMaster CM 690
-Cloq (December 16, 2008, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
That looks like an awesome case.  I'm going to go with it unless I come across something better.  Thanks!
-superboyac (December 16, 2008, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

One minor consideration:

If you're going to go with removable drive trays (like I always do); and you're getting a case that has a shield/door over the external drive bays - then be sure to to get drive trays that won't interfere with it. Look for basic trays with handles that fold flush.

Some of the fancier drive trays project out a bit and can block the doors on some cases.

Of course, why bother with a tricked-out drive tray (with all those blingy readouts and lights) if you're just going to cover it up, right? ;D

Cases: I have liked every Cooler Master product I have ever purchased. Their cases are excellent.

For quiet, I like the Antec Sonata series. They have some annoyances, but nothing I would consider showstopping. The biggest problem is the price. Maybe it's because they're marketed more towards media center builders than the tech crowd. Still, I haven't found anything that comes quieter straight out of the box. Just my :two:

superboyac:
If you're going to go with removable drive trays (like I always do); and you're getting a case that has a shield/door over the external drive bays - then be sure to to get drive trays that won't interfere with it. Look for basic trays with handles that fold flush.
-40hz (December 17, 2008, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm, I don't know if I'm going to keep my backup enclosures internally or externally.  On one hand, it's nice to have the portability.  On the other hand, I never really take them anywhere (besides keeping one drive in a different location).  So having them internal would keep things neat.  Still, I'm leaning towards two external esata enclosures for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version