ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (6/67) > >>

superboyac:
OK, so I'll get Corsair RAM.  I don't know which CPU I'm getting yet, so I don't know if I want 3x2GB RAM, or just one 4GB RAM.  Mayb I'll get the Intel COre Quad.  I have to check out the prices.

It would be helpful if you also tell us what you will use the computer for, whether it would be just surfing the Internet and working with it, or if you're also going to game with it, or do some other more exotic things, like graphics or video editing.
-Lashiec (December 16, 2008, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use my computer mainly for office related work (email, calendars, documents, internet).  The most intensive thing I do with it is probably my music, which is why I'm getting a pro sound card.  Some of my music software requires a lot of RAM, and some require decent hard drives for large samples.  But if my current computer can handle it, I'm sure anything now will be more than enough.  I also do very minor photo and video editing occasionally.  Nothing crazy.  Clipping, cropping, splitting/joining videos, that's about it.  I don't play any games, so video card is not a huge issue for me.  I do watch videos and would like HD compatibility.  But one extreme thing I do is install A LOT of software.  Lots of little tools (like over 100) such as FARR and stuff.  They're small but they add up.  I also listen to music constantly on my computer and that seems to use a lot of processing power.  I do a lot of audio editing.
Also, have in mind that Seagate will no longer offer a 5-year warranty in HDDs starting January 2009, so buy fast!
-Lashiec (December 16, 2008, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
That sucks!!  I loved that 5-year warranty.  OK, then I guess WD is the drive to get.  Lashiec recommends WD, I also have had no problems in the past with them.

superboyac:
EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE - IMHO the absolute best are made by Granite Digital. Moderately pricey, but very well made. http://www.granitedigital.com/
-40hz (December 15, 2008, 11:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I like those Granite Digital enclosures, very nice.  One question, those removable trays:  do you have to screw the hard drives in the tray, or do you just simply place it in?

40hz:
I like those Granite Digital enclosures, very nice.  One question, those removable trays:  do you have to screw the hard drives in the tray, or do you just simply place it in?
-superboyac (December 16, 2008, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The ones I have use 4 screws to mount the drives to the trays.

BTW: You can download full user manuals for many of their products.

http://www.granitedigital.com/downloadliterature.aspx

cranioscopical:
OK, then I guess WD is the drive to get.  Lashiec recommends WD, I also have had no problems in the past with them.
-superboyac (December 16, 2008, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, I've had a  total of 3WD SATAs fail in two machines in the past year.
None was more than a year old. Two came from the same batch (can tell by serial #s).
In the year prior to that I had one fail within a week of installation.

This may never be your problem, and plenty of others like WDs (as did I up until recently).
Speaking for myself, I can't see buying another for a good long time.

None of these drives went into machines that had anything other than quality components.
The machines were built by different people.

Just in case you're thinking (as I well might reading the above) that I'm doing something stupid that trashes HDs, I'd  never had an HD failure since HDs first became available to individual consumers, apart from one dodgy IBM SCSI drive during the time when IBM was having some real trouble getting decent drives out of the door.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just passing on one person's experience. I'm sure there are plenty of issues about any and every drive on the market if you dig around.  If you do choose WDs, I hope that you find yours to be trouble-free hardware.

superboyac:
Arrgh, cranio!  What are you doing to me?!

OK, my top, top priority for hard drives is warranty years.  I will get whichever has a longer warranty, 5 years preferably.  If they are the same, then I'll consider other factors.  So, right now, I know some enterprise Seagates and WD drives have 5 year warranties so I'll choose among those.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version