ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (4/67) > >>

superboyac:
get yourself an external usb2 enclosure for that -- put a rack in it so you can swap in backup drives and change them out at will. this has many advantages:
1) you can use it to backup multiple pcs.
2) you can swap in and out spare backup drives.
3) you can disconnect the backup drives when not in use -- safer.
-mouser (December 15, 2008, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, what I'm using now is an internal rack, where I can just slide the bare drive in and out.  But if I were to use an external enclosure, don't you think eSata would be better?  I've never had good experiences with USB for transferring large amounts of data.  It's always so much slower than expected.

mouser:
i've had no problem with usb2; many usb2 external enclosures now also support esata so that's easy to kill 2 birds with one stone.

superboyac:
Thanks, yeah, maybe external enclosure is the way to go.
OK, so what are the specs for 4gb high quality ram?  Brand+model please.  Thanks.
-superboyac (December 15, 2008, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
Memory: Corsair isn't the cheapest but is good and comes with a lifetime no quibble warranty.

I agree with Mouser - what is the point of getting more than 4Gb at the current time - there is hardly any software that takes advantage of 4Gb let alone 8Gb and getting 8G of matched memory is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Having said that when you decide on a motherboard check out the manufacturer's website and they will have a list of memory modules that have been tested and certified to work.

Carol Haynes:
Re: USB drives - I quite like the Seagate FreeAgent range. They are USB2 only but I have two (500Gb and 750Gb, but they now do 1Tb+ models) and they work fine.

If the motherboard you buy supports eSata you may prefer to look at external drives or enclosures that support eSata.

Have you thought of 1Gigabit access NAS with RAID 1 as a viable backup medium? You could wire it up in the garage so that it is in a separate location or you can get NAS enclosures that allow external USB2 drives to be attached and stored offsite so you could have the best of both worlds, plus the NAS setup would allow you to access the drives from any computer (including via the internet if you want/need that). Lots of the new NAS systems are effectively a file server with automated torrent downloads (without computer) and printer server functionality too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version