ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (2/67) > >>

superboyac:
OK, well since you guys brought it up, let's have motherboards/cpu and montior be the first items to discuss.

What motherboard shall I get?  My current one is an average-level MSI from 2001, and I've also bought an ASUS one for my sister (a little higher end) back in 2002.  Don't know much else about them.  The MSI never really had any problems that I can remember.

For CPU, I usually get the upper-middle class CPU, right about the point where the prices jump significantly for bleeding-edge ones.  For example, if the choices in dollars are, 1,3,5,7,12,15,18,25,28,30...I'll usually get the 18.  If that makes any sense.  And I normally get Intel, no good reason...name recognition.

For monitor, mouser's suggestion would be a big deal for me.  I currently still use a 19" CRT.  At work, I have a nice widescreen Dell 24".  So what's better, one wide 24", or two 21"?

mouser:
two monitors, no question about it.

superboyac:
Hmm, ok, two monitors it is.  So, two 24", or two 21"?  I'm not sure, but I feel like two 24" side by side is a bit awkward.

Carol Haynes:
Personally I always feel you get more bank for your buck with AMD CPUs - but I am not religious about it.

I have used MSI mobos in the past and they have always been pretty reliable. Try and avoid VIA chipsets though (or at least that was my experience).

Re. monitors - 24" and 21" are pretty similar in price these days so go for what space allows! The one thing I have discovered as screens have got bigger is that I can always use more space!

f0dder:
Intel core i7
8gig DDR-3 ram
IODrive
:D

To be realistic... two monitors indeed. I do fine with 2x17"@1280x1024, but with today's prices going below 21" is probably silly. Just remember that TFTs don't only look good at their native resolution, and that you need a high-end graphics card to run games at 21" resolution.

If you can wait until core i7 drops a bit in price, go for it. And 4 gigs of ram.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version