ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (11/67) > >>

mouser:
regarding case -- you really have to make a decision about whether you want to build a quiet pc.  if so you're going to have to scour the newegg reviews for each component to look for comments about fan noise for each piece, and expect to pay a little more for each component with a fan.

4wd:
I have an ASROCK motherboard which I bought cheap to replace the lost board (I suspect ASROCK is just a division of ASUS) and so far no problems.-Carol Haynes (December 15, 2008, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

AsRock are a division of ASUS, their aim is more towards the budget end of the market with ASUS "taking care"(!) of the high-end sector.

AsRock implement technologies usually before they hit mainstream integration, (eg. they were the first with eSATA ports), and use a variety of North/South bridges, not just nVidia/Intel/AMD, (eg. the ULi chipset on my old 939SLI32-eSATA2 outclassed nVidia's comparative chipset in terms of memory transfer rate - unfortunately nVidia bought out ULi, so another innovative product bites the dust).

So after saying they inhabit the cheap end of the market, I can also say that out of all the motherboards I have used, (low-end PCChips, high EPoX, mid-range Gigabyte, ANY ASUS), that the two AsRock motherboards I currently have, (a K7S41GX and 939SLI32-eSATA2), neither have given me any trouble at all over the last 2-3 years.

However, that said, I and all my friends currently run GigaByte motherboards in both high-end, (DQ6 series), and mid-range and apart from a few idiosyncrasies they've proven to be very stable and reliable - far ahead of ASUS motherboards.

superboyac:
regarding case -- you really have to make a decision about whether you want to build a quiet pc.  if so you're going to have to scour the newegg reviews for each component to look for comments about fan noise for each piece, and expect to pay a little more for each component with a fan.
-mouser (December 16, 2008, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I am a little concerned about noise, but my main concern is keeping the components cooled effectively.  I will give up noise to prevent damage, or even be on the slightly conservative side.  I don't plan on overclocking or doing anything really serious, so I'm not anticipating many noise issues.  My current desktop would probably be on the loud side, and I probably don't have a good sense of what's loud and what's quiet.  By work pc (a Dell) is pretty silent comparatively.

So, can I keep my pc cooled properly and still have it relatively silent?  I'll pay for it to a certain point.

f0dder:
So, can I keep my pc cooled properly and still have it relatively silent?  I'll pay for it to a certain point.-superboyac (December 16, 2008, 11:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you don't need super-high-end components, sure - since you don't need gaming, you can very likely get away with a passively cooled GPU. In my experience, GPU fans are some of the most noisy components of PCs today.

Passively cooled GPU + decent PSU = "teh win". Most boxed intel coolers I've had for the last many machines have been nice and silent, but you can always go hunt for an aftermarket cooler if you want it really silent (although most of them focus on extreme cooling and not noise).

tomos:
at least:
make sure whatever case you get can take all 120mm fans - I have one 80mm fan in mine that unfortunately is very noisy & cant be replaced with larger or removed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version