ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (65/67) > >>

superboyac:
PS. Politics or not, I still think you Dad sounds like a great guy.
-40hz (February 15, 2009, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
he is.  He's very highly respected--almost globally now--not only for his expertise, but his calm demeanor.  It's really something to see.  Then you have me, on the other hand, and I'm quite a bit more fiery than my father.  But yes, my dad is a good guy, one of the few around.

superboyac:
Recently I found out that there is a new material (graphene) that seems to be the ideal candidate for hydrogen tanks. Besides being a better conductor than silicium, it is also extremely strong (especially when it comes in contact with hydrogen). Articles 1, 2 and 3 are in Dutch, so have fun with the Google translator (if you are interested of course)
-Shades (February 15, 2009, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
The more I deal with the nuts and bolts of these environmental technologies, the more I'm convinced that the real solution is a very difficult one that is beyond the scope of technology.  And that is getting people to just not be wasteful.  Then, no matter how dirty or clean our fuel is, we are at least using it only as much as we have to.  All other solutions will pale in comparison to this.  The only problem is you can't make people do things, it's next to impossible.

Shades:
Although I agree with you (on the long term vision), technology will be able to help (on the shorter term vision)...especially when there would be a rule that says no piece of (electrical) equipment is allowed to use more than 25 Watts of energy at maximum performance. Also, depending on the size of a parcel a maximum amount of energy per time unit should be allowed.

This would drop the need for of electricity considerably. The grid is then also capable to handle electric vehicles without expanding the infrastructure too much. People would quickly be aware how much energy they use and prioritize accordingly.
Makes me wonder how much time would lie between the realization of your long term vision and my short term proposals :)

It sounds like I'm an activist but nothing could be farther from the truth. My PC's run always all the time (when there is power) and I drive a motorcycle.

superboyac:
Since I'm not finding time to finish up the articles about building my computer, I will put up the pictures here for now.  These are a bunch of before and after shots of my new computer process.  It made the upstairs rooms of my home a mess, but worth it in the end.  I gave away a useless, and ugly shelf I had before.  Setting it up and working through all the issues took a while also.  The longest thing (and I'm still working on it little by little) was restructuring my file organizational methods.  If you know how particular I am about this, it was really difficult to change.  I picked mouser's brain in great detail and used most of his advice.  Now, everything is as systematic as can possibly be.  Here are the pics:

Carol Haynes:
Lots of depressed looking photos - surely you smiled at your new toys  :D

That case is E N O R M O U S ---- you'll never be homeless!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version