ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (47/67) > >>

superboyac:
BTW: Yet another Avatar, SB?
-40hz (January 08, 2009, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
He he, yeah.  This is the good one...it goes with my name.  The other one was specifically for the autocad portion of my website.

superboyac:
OK, I'm done ordering all my newegg items, as well as the two monitors.  Whew!  That's was a lot of money!  Hopefully, I won't have any rma items.

superboyac:
I'm 99% done ordering all my parts.  The only thing left to get is the audio mixing board, which most of you don't care about.  I've updated the first post for the actual prices of everything:
[Click here to return to first post and see updated system components & price]

Thanks to everyone here for helping me choose all the parts.  This is definitely going to be an amazing computer in every way.  It's also the most expensive computer I've ever put together.  But I use it so much and for so long, I felt it was worth it.  My last computer lasted me 7 years (and still going strong!) and the only premium parts in it are the battery and the hard drives.  Everything else in it is on the budget side of things.  To give an idea of what I'm using right now:
--19" CRT monitor
--MSI cheap motherboard (from 2001)
--Intel Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz
--768 K RAM (Kingston)
--ATI 9600XT, 128 MB (this was a replacement in 2004 when my cheaper card got fried because of a bad power supply)
--Cheap $50 case
--$100 PSU (replacement of the bad PSU from 2004)

So, this new one will be a huge luxury for me.  This old computer is the one I have hundreds of programs installed that I talk about here every day.  I've played Doom 3 on this baby.  I've done all my music stuff on it.  I've dabbled a little with graphical design and video editing (minimal).  I think I've extracted every ounce of power I could from this rig.  Sure, if I couldn't afford anything, it could still last longer.

One thing I will admit, I am a very patient man.  For a long time now, I have to often wait 5-6 minutes for everything to be booted up and running.  Many apps get excruciatingly slow.  I've almost forgotten what it feels like to have an instantaneous response while clicking things with the mouse.

Carol Haynes:
We want to see some photos when its done ....

How about a "Build your own PC ... " tutorial thread with lots of pictures?

superboyac:
We want to see some photos when its done ....

How about a "Build your own PC ... " tutorial thread with lots of pictures?
-Carol Haynes (January 13, 2009, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm going to write a nice formal article about it on my website, with pictures and everything.  And it will be all on one page, so it will probably be a long article.  One thing I learned from all this:  I HATE all these multi-page articles from these hardware review sites.  Seriously, what is UP with that!!?  Who started this?  I can't stand how one site will do something, and then everyone will start copying it just because their website content is similar.  Who's the person that said, "I have a hardware review site, so I should make all my articles 7 pages long."  It's so freaking ridiculous.  Most of these articles go way overboard, they literally have like 2 paragraphs per page.  It uses up about 2 inches of your screen, maybe an inch and a half wide.  Absolutely insane.

I had to read so many articles for this website, and they were ALL multi-page articles.  Such bullshit, excuse my language.  Intro, packaging, benchmark 1, benchmark 2, benchmark 3, analysis 1, analysis 2, analysis 2, summary, conclusion.  I'm so sick of it.  I'm tired of people turning the web into a useless advertising machine.  All anyone cares about is where you click.  Click here to expand, click here to continue, click here for single page.  Get the F--- out of here.

One thing I pay very close attention to on my website is the organization and content of it.  I want it easily readable, I want the articles to be a pleasant experience.  I want the navigation as easy and painless as possible.  I don't do multi-part articles unless the subject matter warrants it.  I try not to have too much area wasted on side panels and extraneous stuff besides the main article (although I can't control this as well as I'd like until I learn to modify the themes better).  I am very concerned about productivity, efficiency, and most of all a relaxing and fun experience.

Why do all these people feel like they have to make every part of life a living hell for everyone just to make money?  People need to understand that there is a ton of money out there for people who do things right and make life easier for people.  You don't always have to cheat or take shortcuts.  I can't even watch TV anymore because of the amount of commercials.  I wait for a series to come out on DVD, and watch an entire season in one weekend.  That's nice!  And you know what?!  Even when they put series available on the web, like NBC does with The Office, they make that a living hell by making you watch a commercial before the episode plays.  And why is the commercial always louder than the episode?!  Furthermore, why does it seem like the commercials always run flawlessly on the computer, but there will often be hangups or choppy video for the actual episode?!  Why don't the commercials every have issues?  This is not just NBC, this is all video websites with commercials.  Hmm...makes you wonder.  And then networks wonder why people download episodes.  I'll tell you why.  You download an episode, and it runs flawlessly and very speedily on even your old-ass computer.

We all have enough of our own personal problems to be barraged by these other things that needlessly complicate our lives.  Time is precious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version