ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In-car GPS

<< < (3/5) > >>

SKesselman:
I love GPS, when it's a good system.
You just have to consider the context; it's not too much fun on romantic getaways.

My BF has taken me on two tours in southern France:

Trip 1:BF drives, and drives very well, despite rain, wind, etc. He gets his directions from GF.
GF is co-pilot, in charge of the maps BF has so thoughtfully printed out from the web. She learns new words, keeps her sense of direction, has some responsibility, has fun, conversation flows, all is well. GF & BF accomplished something together!
GF goes back to USA bragging that her BF is the best driver in all the world, and, without GPS, he probably is.

Trip 2:BF drives again, and drives badly, wide eyes fixed on an ugly blue screen, from which he gets visual directions.
GF's pleas to BF that he keep his eyes on the road are met with promises to do so which are broken within seconds.
Conversation cannot flow, due to continual interruptions from audio instructions given by GPS.
BF & GF find their destinations, each stop being a relief to both.
GF is just frightened enough on the road to feel rattled / irritated at the end of each drive.

Not so great for romantic plans. You get the picture. :P or rather,  :)

Deozaan:
The problem with your ideal romantic getaway #1 is that it requires a co-pilot who has a sense of direction. Unfortunately that rules out my wife.

And the problem with your disaster romantic getaway #2 is that it assumes a pilot who apparently doesn't know how to drive three meters without looking at a map/guide.

:P

Deozaan:
By the way, I just got an e-mail from TigerDirect.com about a one day only deal that specifically highlights GPS units.

TigerDirect.com One Day Only Sale Ends Midnight (Eastern Time) on December 16th.

SKesselman:
The problem with your ideal romantic getaway #1 is that it requires a co-pilot who has a sense of direction. Unfortunately that rules out my wife.
-Deozaan (December 16, 2008, 01:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, I have no sense of direction either!
I forgot to mention there was a compass.
With a compass and having to follow a map, I can get around.
I'm sure she could, too  :D

And the problem with your disaster romantic getaway #2 is that it assumes a pilot who apparently doesn't know how to drive three meters without looking at a map/guide.-Deozaan (December 16, 2008, 01:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess I didn't make my point very well:
The distraction of GPS (coupled with it being our only resource for directions) turned an excellent driver into an entranced one. The screen was everything, and he just couldn't stop looking at it. It moved as we moved...like a game.

I'm certain he's not alone and that some people really have to try not to get distracted by it  ;)

Deozaan:
No, I have no sense of direction either!
I forgot to mention there was a compass.
With a compass and having to follow a map, I can get around.
I'm sure she could, too  :D-SKesselman (December 16, 2008, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's possible but I don't think so. Maps don't seem to make much sense to her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version