topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ThreatFire or Prevx Edge ? And do I really need it?  (Read 5525 times)

Lightening

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ThreatFire or Prevx Edge ? And do I really need it?
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Last year I missed the discount by a week for Prevx 2.0.  I sent customer service an e-mail stating that I was a DC member and asked for the discount.  They replied that I had in fact missed the discount period, but that the program was excellent so that I should buy it at full price anyway.  So I purchased Threatfire instead.

ThreatFire was excellent when it worked but occasionally went wacky and caused other programs to stop until I deleted and reinstalled it.  This happened about four times.  Anyway, my license expired two weeks ago and I was automatically converted to the free version - which was fine.  But after daily reminders to reinstate the paid version, both by targeted pop-up reminders and E-mails, I simply deleted the program and all its parts from my computer.  Thankfully, Heidi's Free Eraser program deleted what I could not get rid of by normal procedures.  Some programs just won't leave until you call the big guns in to finish the job.

So now I'm without a fancy realtime protection and behavior monitoring program.  So my question, to my fellow DC members who truly know about these sorts of things is:   Do folks really need this extra protection?  (I go everywhere on the net.)   And if these programs are needed, which of the two, ThreatFire or Prevx Edge is better?  Or are there other programs out there too?   I have anti spyware, anti-malware and registry cleaner software on my pc in addition to Windows Defender, which to my surprise was the only program to identify some malware and other nasty stuff my other programs did not find.  Suggestions or ideas?  Thanks.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ThreatFire or Prevx Edge ? And do I really need it?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:57 AM »
I wouldn't really bother. If you want security, go for Kaspersky antivirus - it has the antivirus part as well as some behavioral blocking that should be adequate, and it's been running pretty stable on the XP machines I've been setting it up on. Don't run any anti-whatever software myself, though (*knock on wood*).

I wouldn't bother with registry cleaners either, they usually don't do much good, but can do harm if you're unlucky.

Use FireFox with adblock plus and (if you can live with whitelisting) noscript. That'll keep you rather safe :)
- carpe noctem