ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

<< < (3/174) > >>

hamradio:
Icon in 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, and 16x16 sizes.
Preview and Download
trout_new.zip (13.82 kB - downloaded 1128 times.)

:)

skwire:
Lovely, Ham.  Thanks so much.  =]

skwire:
I've updated this teaser to a release.  I'd be curious to know if this player works on Win2k/Win9x as I have only tested it within a VM on those OSes.

app103:
Quick test on a 9x PC:  Pentium I, 233mhz, 64mb RAM, WinME

Streaming audio was not tested due to the fact that the PC is on 33.6k dialup. I only tested it with local wav & mp3 files and CD's, as that's all I have available for that machine. I also didn't test all features.

I really like the nice compact size of the minibars. The size is perfect! It would be nice if there was some sort of tooltip on the minibar to give you some sort of hint what you are listening to. (I know it's on the tray icon, but I keep my taskbar hidden) It would also be nice if there was an option to keep the minibar always on top.

Drag & drop from Explorer works wonderful! Thanks for that!

Some issues (might not be 9x related, I'll test on XP later and let you know):

It took a looooong time to load a folder of files. You can't play anything till it's finished loading the files. I ended up having to wait 30 minutes!

When you resize the window the list box doesn't resize with it until it's finished loading all the files.

There are no scrollbars and I couldn't see what was in the other columns unless I maximized the window. I had to use the keyboard to scroll up/down. No way to scroll left/right though. Scrollbars do show if I close the player and open again, as long as I don't clear & create a new list. (scrollwheel on my mouse doesn't work, so those bars are important to me)

The seekbar leaves the limits of the window during play, unless I close and reopen and don't clear & create a new list.

Listbox tends to cover statusbar.

Status bar does some neat tricks when using my arrow keys to scroll the list down.

Invert selection doesn't work.

It's possible to have both minibars on the screen at the same time. (shouldn't it be one or the other, but not both?)

Occasionally, when I double click the icon on the minibar to show the main window, afterwards, when I move my mouse, the minibar sticks & moves with it (but not necessarily under my pointer) till I click somewhere else. It would be possible to lose the minibar offscreen if I were to click the desktop while the minibar was offscreen. Might want to confine the minibar to the desktop to prevent that from happening. (I have the same issue with an application I wrote and had to confine it to the desktop after a user lost it and had no way to get it back besides editing the registry)

Seekbar & playlist font issue: can't use a different font than the default one or the size is too tiny and I can't adjust font size. Settings are ignored. (I wanted Arial bold, because it's clearer & easier for me to read) I was afraid to change the font on the toaster because I didn't see a button to revert it back to default if there was an issue.

It doesn't read tags properly. It shows the file name where Artist should be, doesn't show album/title/year/genre. This affects the playlist, seekbar, titlebar, and toaster.

freeDB worked fine and displayed all the info, but I couldn't get Trout to play CD's at all on that machine. It could be an issue with my drive though. Very few players actually work with it...only 2 that I know of, one came with my keyboard and the other one is some crappy thing that I wrote in VB6. (At least Trout didn't crash like Winamp & WMP does when trying to play CD's)

skwire:
Quick test on a 9x PC:  Pentium I, 233mhz, 64mb RAM, WinME-app103 (January 01, 2009, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wowza, from your post, I think it's safe to say that Win9x isn't supported.   :P

I really like the nice compact size of the minibars. The size is perfect! It would be nice if there was some sort of tooltip on the minibar to give you some sort of hint what you are listening to. (I know it's on the tray icon, but I keep my taskbar hidden)
--- End quote ---

Piece of cake.  I'll add it into the next build.  Thanks for the suggestion.

It would also be nice if there was an option to keep the minibar always on top.
--- End quote ---

Right-click the Trout icon on the minibar...you'll see the AoT option there.

It took a looooong time to load a folder of files. You can't play anything till it's finished loading the files. I ended up having to wait 30 minutes!
--- End quote ---

How many files were in this folder?

It's possible to have both minibars on the screen at the same time. (shouldn't it be one or the other, but not both?)
--- End quote ---

Ehhh, I figured why limit it to one or the other?  :Thmbsup:

Some issues (might not be 9x related, I'll test on XP later and let you know):

When you resize the window the list box doesn't resize with it until it's finished loading all the files.

Invert selection doesn't work.

Seekbar & playlist font issue: can't use a different font than the default one or the size is too tiny and I can't adjust font size. Settings are ignored. (I wanted Arial bold, because it's clearer & easier for me to read) I was afraid to change the font on the toaster because I didn't see a button to revert it back to default if there was an issue.

It doesn't read tags properly. It shows the file name where Artist should be, doesn't show album/title/year/genre. This affects the playlist, seekbar, titlebar, and toaster.
--- End quote ---

Again, at this point, I'm going to have to say it's a Win9x issue since almost all of the issues mentioned above don't happen on any of the WinXP boxes I've tested with.  The tag reading is DEFINITELY a Win9x issue since it's using ansi/unicode DLL calls that aren't available in Win9x.  I assure you (and everybody) that all the above issues haven't happened on any WinXP box I've tested against.

freeDB worked fine and displayed all the info, but I couldn't get Trout to play CD's at all on that machine. It could be an issue with my drive though. Very few players actually work with it...only 2 that I know of, one came with my keyboard and the other one is some crappy thing that I wrote in VB6. (At least Trout didn't crash like Winamp & WMP does when trying to play CD's)
--- End quote ---

Hmmmm...I'll go with the drive issue.  Hahaha.  For the record, I've tested the CD playback on my home desktop, my wife's desktop, my work laptop and several other computers at work.  I'm curious to know your findings to all the above issues under WinXP or Vista.  Thank you so much for taking the time to test on your WinME box.  Due to your feedback, I've gone ahead and taken the Win9x off the supported OS in my initial post. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version