ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Fix Vista so I can drop a file from Windows Explorer to cmd yet again

(1/4) > >>

daddydave:
This is my first post, and it doesn't really seem right for my first post to be asking for something!  :P I may have a candidate for a coding snack, though.

Here is my idea. In every version of Windows from Windows 95 to Windows XP, I found that I could drag a file from Windows Explorer into a cmd window and Windows would put the path to the file on the command line. This worked with both executables and data filenames. I think this was extremely handy if you use any command line tools at all, especially with the length of directory paths these days. Vista broke this functionality just to be mean*, maybe someone knows an easy way to make something that would restore this functionality in Vista.

(And yes, I know you can work around it by holding down Shift and right clicking on the file and choosing Copy as Path, so if this coding snack never gets...munched on? I will live.)

f0dder:
Don't worry about your first post being a request, you posted it in a nice tone rather than "GIMME I DESERVE THIS!" :-)

I think the problem might have something to do with console applications running under ClientServer Runtime System (CSRSS)... an CSRSS runs as a system service (ie., higher privilege than even user accounts with admin privileges), and iirc Vista disables communication between lower- and higher-privilege applications.

I'm not 100% about this though, but it would explain why the functionality was dropped.

skrommel:
:) Try DropCommand!

DropCommand - Enables drag and drop of files to a command window in Vista.

Features:

- Drop multiple files.

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel

daddydave:
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:  :D :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

I can't believe it! I followed the link f0dder gave to the Microsoft blog, and it seemed impossible even for a third party utility.

You are a genius!

basementjack:
Skrommel - how does dropcommand work -
is it making a one time change (ie registry?)
or is it something we need to run each time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version