ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anonymous I-net surfing ?

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Every TCP/IP packet going from point A to point B contains the identifying IP address of both A & B, it's part of the protocol, there is no geting around it. Using a proxy only complicates things a bit...it doesn't make it impossible to identify you.-Stoic Joker (December 17, 2008, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
A packet going through TOR will not have A as source IP when it reaches B, just like a server won't see 192.168.x.x (or whatever other internal LAN IP) when going through a NATing router.

But there are attacks against the network that, if the attacker is dedicated enough, can let him trace entry- and exit points (if he can control both, iirc?) and thus determine your traffic. Not super-trivial though.

Stoic Joker:
Nothing social engineering, or a warrant couldn't fix... :)

I'll have to investigate this TOR thing when I have time.

f0dder:
A warrant by itself won't help you - the idea behind TOR is that you get routed through multiple hosts (just like peels of onion), each host obviously only knows about destination and previous host.

So you either need to get warrants for all boxes (while the connection is active), or perform the "control both exit and entry points" attack, in order to trace a connection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version