ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (21/24) > >>

Josh:
People did not pay for lifetime UPGRADES, they paid for UPDATES, as in updates to the DVD functionality. While AnyDVD and the HD program are not "different" in that they are separate programs, they are different in that one offers differing functionality. The HD UPGRADE is not necessary for all people and it comes down to people not reading what they were purchasing. When I first purchased AnyDVD, I knew full well that only UPDATES were included. BRD is a new format for the HD Genre, HD-DVD is not really relevant as it is no longer actively supported by any studio. Yes, HD-DVD was a subset of DVD, but it is also a newer technology as the HD-DVD side of most discs will not read in a standard player and the content is encoded in a different manner (it is not 720x480 MPEG2).

But yes, it would have been ideal to make two totally discernable products, but instead they went this route and let people buy the addon if they required it (along with a lifetime subscription to UPDATES TO BRD FUNCTIONALITY).

J-Mac:
I have Lifetime licenses for both AnyDVD and CloneDVD, and I have benefitted from them - along with literally dozens, maybe over a hundred, updates for AnyDVD alone - for more than 6 years now. And guess what - I went ahead and purchased an upgrade to my AnyDVD lifetime license to add HD/BRD capability. Even though I currently don't have either an HD-DVD nor BRD player! Well, if you already had a license the upgrade was ridiculously inexpensive, plus I figure that I'll probably be using the HD stuff sooner or later. But without the HD/BRD upgrade I have gotten an immense amount of use, along with innumerable upgrades and flawless, uncomplaining support from Slysoft so this was probably the only way I could continue to support them. I don't mind at all.

Others do drive me mad, though....

Jim

wraith808:
Slysoft should have created a new product AnyHD that cannot do DVD at all, and then package with every license of AnyHD a free license to AnyDVD so that its users can do DVDs as well.
-CWuestefeld (April 16, 2009, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why should a user of AnyHD have to suffer for the sake of mindset?  Suffer how you ask?  To have to open separate applications just so people's 'mindset' would be in a certain way.  It's sort of like regular versions vs pro versions- the pro version has more features than the regular version, but both are built into the same application.  What's wrong with that?

CWuestefeld:
People did not pay for lifetime UPGRADES, they paid for UPDATES
-Josh (April 16, 2009, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

upGRADES is certainly the perception. If Slysoft wants to avoid bad will, they should have made this crystal clear. (And so that we're not just arguing about suppositions, does anyone have the actual text of their lifetime agreement?)

Why should a user of AnyHD have to suffer for the sake of mindset?  Suffer how you ask?  To have to open separate applications just so people's 'mindset' would be in a certain way.
-wraith808 (April 16, 2009, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because Slysoft screwed up, that's why.

Obviously Slysoft doesn't have to do this -- in fact, they did not. But the alternative is the amount of bad will they have created amongst their older customers.

Not every situation has a solution that's positive all around. Slysoft made the lousy situation, and only they can make the decision about whether the old customer bad will, or future user inconvenience, or some third option, best achieves their goals.

J-Mac:
Slysoft should have created a new product AnyHD that cannot do DVD at all, and then package with every license of AnyHD a free license to AnyDVD so that its users can do DVDs as well.
-CWuestefeld (April 16, 2009, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why should a user of AnyHD have to suffer for the sake of mindset?  Suffer how you ask?  To have to open separate applications just so people's 'mindset' would be in a certain way.  It's sort of like regular versions vs pro versions- the pro version has more features than the regular version, but both are built into the same application.  What's wrong with that?
-wraith808 (April 16, 2009, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is not a "separate app"; it simply adds the ability to strip the copy protection from HD-DVD and BRD. People open the exact same application that they always have. It just has more capabilities.

Slysoft was the first to break the copy protection for the HD-DVD and BRD, and then when a newer, supposedly better copy protection was introduced, Slysoft broke it again. Don't you think they deserve to earn a little more revenue for that?

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version