ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (8/24) > >>

mwb1100:
BTW, what is DVDFab's policy WRT grandfathering its lifetime licensees?
-Darwin (December 12, 2008, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

My understanding is that for purchases made prior to the change you still get lifetime updates (similar to AnyDVD's announced policy).

Carol Haynes:
Yep -that is correct. I have DVDFab and they quickly sent a new registration file when I asked - but it wasn't automatic.

DonL:
There's still two left in the 'Lifetime' license club:
- Total Commander file manager
- WinRAR archiver

What others are there?
-zridling (December 12, 2008, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
- XYplorer (previously TrackerV3) always had a lifetime license and still has one. Customer Number One from April 2000 is still happily using the app without any additional payment ever. :)

zridling:
[DonL]: XYplorer (previously TrackerV3) always had a lifetime license and still has one. Customer Number One from April 2000 is still happily using the app without any additional payment ever.
--- End quote ---

Thanks Don! The one thing I appreciate it is that XYplorer has a donation link for guys like me who benefit from that across major versions. You don't have to donate, but I'm glad the option is there. I contacted the WinRAR guys about donating last year and they thought I was nuts. Go figure.

[Josh]: This is yet again proof that the modern day person expects everything to be free on the net because it can be pirated for free. Lifetime updates means just that, lifetime updates.
--- End quote ---

Far too many do. When you consider the incredible odds of building, and then sustaining, a good app over time, it's an extremely improbable event. Pirates suck the motivation out of coding for a living. Whether by donations or license fees, devs should be able to go to the bank. And if they are one of fortunate few to make enough so they don't have to work a side job, then all the more power to them. Instead of pirating, use free software and be happy with it. If you can code, contribute and make it better. Otherwise, pay up.

But given the complexity of explaining what Slysoft is doing here, at the very least it confuses users. I paid for lifetime licenses for both regular and HD versions. But to save myself future money on licenses and present money on discs, I setup an old (networked) PC in the living room and watch movies from it rather than bother converting them (to disc).

Josh:
Conversion takes far too long zaine, that is why I have yet to do it. When you have a collection of almost 800 movies, it is not justifiable to spend the time. Just pop in the disc when needed. That is what my media center PC does for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with you regarding the piracy issue. People expect that because they can pirate something that it should be free or almost no cost. Now that I am to the point, financially, I have no problem supporting programs I enjoy and use. I am running almost no, I say almost because I still cannot justify spending the ungodly price for photoshop, pirated software. Granted, photoshop is my next purchase because my wife is starting her degree in photography. So for me, it is justifiable as an education expense.

This thread alone is proof that people often times do not understand the concepts implimented in software. When I purchased AnyDVD, I KNEW that I was getting free updates to the ANYDVD product which DECRYPTED DVDS. I bought this when DVD was just a fledgling technology and knew that it would be a while before I would have to invest in something new. But now that this new technology has presented itself, i gladly paid my extra money for my license to the HD addon because I was going to take advantage of the upgraded technology. As much as people hate the idea, BRD is not DVD. Yes, they both use optical discs for storage, but that is the end of the similarities. Different codecs are used, different encoding schemes, different protections, different hardware is required.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version