ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (7/24) > >>

mwb1100:
Then I'm confused about what you're paying extra for if you buy a "lifetime" license. To me, everyone should be entitled to bug fixes -- those are places where you're currently being denied the functionality that you thought were paying for in the beginning. That should be free, included in the base price.
-CWuestefeld (December 12, 2008, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing that I think is a little different with a product like AnyDVD is that they need to update/fix problems not only due to bugs, but because of intentional activities of DVD manufacturers to make DVDs uncopyable.  Probably most of what goes into AnyDVD updates are changes to make the program deal with new protection techniques for new movie releases, so there is a continual  R&D cost.

To my mind, I was surprised how long they kept on the Lifetime Updates policy (a main competitor of theirs, DVDFab, moved away from that policy several months ago).

mwb1100:
SlySoft also have a good marketting ploy here - tell all your friends, post around the web .... quick buy your stuff now with lifetime updates --- while you can!
-Carol Haynes (December 12, 2008, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

As far as whether this is a marketing ploy to gain sales this month, that may be, but I see nothing wrong with informing people of the pending change so someone considering a purchase can make their own choice of whether they want to purchase earlier than they might otherwise in order to get lifetime updates.  I suspect if they made no announcement until the policy actually changed, there would be many more people complaining that they would have bought sooner if only they had known...

mwb1100:
Lifetime licenses that I own (I assume that they are still valid  :o):

XYplorer (lifetime license no longer available)
-Darwin (December 12, 2008, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

XYplorer is still available with a lifetime license, but it's at a higher cost than the standard license.

Darwin:
Lifetime licenses that I own (I assume that they are still valid  :o):

XYplorer (lifetime license no longer available)
-Darwin (December 12, 2008, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

XYplorer is still available with a lifetime license, but it's at a higher cost than the standard license.

-mwb1100 (December 12, 2008, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, you're right, of course! Thanks for clarifying that! BTW, what is DVDFab's policy WRT grandfathering its lifetime licensees? I missed that switch entirely... Of course, they've lowered their price a number of times since I purchased, so paying for upgrades (assuming a 50% upgrade charge) wouldn't be too painful.

Josh:
Are there really programs out there that quit working after the license period has expired?

If you buy Quicken right now I'm pretty sure you're locked into their product line, but if you don't feel like buying their UPGRADED (everyone else is writing that in all caps, so I decided to as well) product you can still use their old version if I'm not mistaken.

If you create a document in Office2007 right now you can use it from now until the end of time (or the next Y2K-type bug/limitation pops up).
-Hirudin (December 12, 2008, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, you are not locked in. Almost all major financial programs can read from quicken's formats, and quicken itself can export to the ever popular QIF import format. Quicken upgrades every year due to the constant change in tax and finance laws, they have to update each year for people who DO USE quicken for tax tracking and purposes. You are not required to update if all you do is track finances (unless your bank stops supporting older versions), even if it does you can still manually reconcile so you do not lose that ability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version