ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (19/24) > >>

Josh:
I wasn't being snippy, merely pointing out that this was a norm. I apologize if it came across that way, but it was not the intended tone or inflection for said post. And no, that was directed at no one in particular.

Darwin:
If someone got "snippy" with you they must have just been having a bad hair day or something.  :D

Jim
-J-Mac (January 14, 2009, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't being snippy, merely pointing out that this was a norm. I apologize if it came across that way, but it was not the intended tone or inflection for said post. And no, that was directed at no one in particular.
-Josh (January 14, 2009, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think Jim was meaning that he possibly got snippy with you, not the other way around!

sazzen:
After participating in this discussion, I decided I should check on the update status of my Xplorer2 program and found that my year was up on October 7 of last year. So- I emailed them to find out if I can still download any updates that became available before my time was up.  :)
-sazzen (January 10, 2009, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am told that I since there have been few additions to my current version (1.71) I can update to 1.72.  :)  I am pleased and that will do until I am ready/willing to purchase another Explorer replacement.

A few reasons for preferring Freeware: If my system crashes, I can just reinstall it - without having to contact the vendor with my proof of purchase (which may have been lost in the crash), without having to acquire another product key (which may or may not be available) - without having to explain (perhaps to no avail) why it looks like I'm using a different computer (if I'm not - it is even worse if I am) - without "activating".  I can install the program on my laptop (I don't have one yet but I am hoping). It would be pretty difficult to take what I call my "work" with me if the license only allows for use on one computer. I didn't even realize that would be an issue until I started pining for a laptop.

Paul Keith:
I think this topic highlights how marketing on the low end is still a quirky thing to do properly. You never know when the same incentives you used to draw a customer in is the same thing you need to gradually draw out or else the sudden transition will alienate most of your current users.

As it was written in the end of chapter 2:

Some people are better at starting a business than they are at running a business.
--- End quote ---

mouser:
ooh, that looks like good reading! thanks for the link.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version