ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (11/24) > >>

zridling:
[J-Mac]: I can see why someone may decide to stop developing! But even if they don’t continue, if I use the program for a decent length of time I feel I should donate if I can.
--- End quote ---

I may be wrong, but I think Bulk Rename Utility went from freeware (with a donation option) to adware. To me, that's the worst move you can make. Seeing a rotating ad such as the one in FoxIt is like a needle in my eye.

J-Mac:
[J-Mac]: I can see why someone may decide to stop developing! But even if they don’t continue, if I use the program for a decent length of time I feel I should donate if I can.
--- End quote ---

I may be wrong, but I think Bulk Rename Utility went from freeware (with a donation option) to adware. To me, that's the worst move you can make. Seeing a rotating ad such as the one in FoxIt is like a needle in my eye.
-zridling (December 18, 2008, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just went and looked and I didn't see any purchase option for Bulk Rename Utility.

Jim

AbteriX:
BRU is still freeware, with an little advertisement for "the software company which has taken over the running of the project"

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Darwin:
If you read the thread on the BRU forum carefully, the ads are to be removed with the next release. How much faith one should put in this promise, I don't know... I still have the previous - ad free - version installed and it works fine.

FWIW, the chief objection to the ad seems to be that it takes up valuable screen real estate. BRU is infamous for its GUI, which is considered cluttered, adding an ad that apparently takes up 30% of the GUI would be significant indeed!

Anyway, it seems that they are "on it". We'll have to wait and see...

J-Mac:
Ads? Heh - I'll keep the last ad-free version installed also. I still have the setup if...

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version