ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opening a Window on the Mac

(1/1)

zridling:
Opening a Window on the Mac
Katherine Boehret / WSJ

I’ve put together a quick and dirty guide for new Apple users that explains some of the ways the Mac operating system differs from Windows. It’s true: The way you’ll quit programs is different, the keyboards are set up a little differently and even the mouse is different. But once you adjust to these changes, you’ll be fine.

Quick guide to what's different and potentially confusing on a Mac if you're a Windows user.

zridling:
Sorry, couldn't resist this Apple Lisa photo. How far we've come, how far we've come.

Stoic Joker:
The mouse on a desktop Mac looks like it has only one button, and the trackpad on most Mac laptops has no visible buttons at all—the whole pad is a single, large button. These designs send people who usually use two-button mice into a tizzy about how to right click.-Article
--- End quote ---
And rightfully so...

Never fear, right click is still near!-Article
--- End quote ---
Oh, S**t...this aught to be good...

On Mac laptops, right click by placing two fingers down on the trackpad (it’s easiest with your pointer and middle fingers) and click the trackpad with another finger (like your thumb).-Article
--- End quote ---
I...See... (We're up to 3 fingers now... for those that weren't counting)... and this is easier (exactly) than what?!?

New MacBooks also will right click when you place two fingers on the trackpad and press down. Using a one-button Apple mouse, just press Control and then click to see the same right-click functionality.-Article
--- End quote ---
....or...or...or... (Dear god...Now I need two Hands..! how-many-fingers-is-that??) This explains why the new ultra secret Apple bases Toyota cars seem to keep rocketing off cliffs & into things. It's apparently do to the insistence that the hyper-velocity, passing acceleration mode be toggled by pressing the brake pedal sideways.

On the Mighty Mouse,-Article
--- End quote ---
...Here - I - Am - To - Save - The - Day... (Ahem...) enable right-click functionality in System Preferences, then just touch where the right-click button should be and it will work. -From Article
--- End quote ---
Right, so they saved the "Mighty-est" (Their word, not mine...) option for last...which was to do it the way it was supposed to be done in the first place...

If you’re sick of these new shortcuts, just plug in a mouse with a real right-click button and it will likely work on the Mac.-Article
--- End quote ---
Absolutely Not! ...The devil I know is an old friend...and you people are crazy. :)

Yes, I'm in an odd (but playfull) mood this morning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version