ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Basic Question on Photo Tagging

<< < (2/3) > >>

CWuestefeld:
+1 for Exifer. I've been using that for years. The IPTC and EXIF data is (generally) standardized, and any compliant program should be able to share the data.

I used to use IMatch. The software is incredibly advanced, the UI is well-thought-out, allows access to a centralized database on the server, and even has a scripting model. However, the upgrade process was so onerous that I had to drop out. One had to download and install the trial, then find your password to download the registered version, find the registration code and install it over the top, then find different passwords and registration codes for the "service packs" to be installed over the top (or at least that's how I remember it). I grew so confused, and had such trouble tracking all the (changing with each version!) passwords and codes, that I could no longer install it.

Now I just use ACDSee, which isn't as capable, but at least it doesn't put the user through such torture.

Lutz_:
Make sure that the software writes the tags not only to its own database, but also into the meta data of the image files to guarantee the transportability of the data. The IPTC standard is still the most universal one.
Other programs doing this are IdImager, Studioline Photo, Helicon Photo Safe, Acdsee (I guess only the professional version), ....

JonnyLaserty:
huge library - huge work  :)

tsaint:
one thing useful in exifer (and probably in other apps too) is the ability to save templates so besides batch tagging files, you can reload a set of tags to use again ... eg Ive a template for a sheep station I camp at a lot, so can load it up and only have to make minor changes to tag images from each camping trip to there.

zevel:
Hi Lutz_,

Other programs doing this are IdImager, Studioline Photo, Helicon Photo Safe, Acdsee (I guess only the professional version), ....
-Lutz_ (December 13, 2008, 11:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which one, in your opinion, will work better with a "huge" collection?
Do they support nested tags and complex searches?

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version