ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Basic Question on Photo Tagging

(1/3) > >>

edbro:
I want to organize a huge library of photos by tagging them. I currently do not use any photo ablum software except for the occasional use of Picasa. Normally, I view my photos with Xnview and have them organized in folders.

If I use a particular software and tag the photos, will those tags be portable? For instance, if I tag in PhotoPro Album and later decide on Photoshop Album, will the tags show up in the new software?

I've got some rare free time coming up and I want to finally get this done.

Perry Mowbray:
There are tags and then there are tags.

If the programme uses it's own database to tag the images then that data may be exportable and importable to the new application (but who knows)?

If the programme uses tags within the image format (EXIF in jpeg images for example), then the tags should go with the image (which doesn't necessarily mean that any actual programme will support or use those tags).

Not that I know a huge amount, I'd be happy to be contradicted :)

tsaint:
My preferred option has been to go the IPTC route, which theoretically gives me a choice of organisers (currently using IMatch from www.photools.com - not free).

I find the quickest and easiest way to tag my photos is with Exifer (http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/). The author points out that the software has ceased development and to his mind there is better software available, but it does exactly what I want - batch tagging of images

tomos:
My preferred option has been to go the IPTC route, which theoretically gives me a choice of organisers (currently using IMatch from www.photools.com - not free).

I find the quickest and easiest way to tag my photos is with Exifer (http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/). The author points out that the software has ceased development and to his mind there is better software available, but it does exactly what I want - batch tagging of images
-tsaint (December 12, 2008, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

if you tag with Exifer (I didnt know it could do that!) can you "read" the tags in iMatch &/or other programmes ?

tsaint:
if you tag with Exifer (I didnt know it could do that!) can you "read" the tags in iMatch &/or other programmes ?
-tomos (December 12, 2008, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I have in Imatch, Acdsee and Xnview.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version