ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: CrazyLittleFingers

(1/15) > >>

kwacky1:
NANY 2009 Entry Information
Application Name CrazyLittleFingers Version 1.1.2 (25/01/2009) Short Description Keep your computer safe, while letting your little ones, little fingers explore and discover Supported OSes Windows XP and Vista Download Link CrazyLittleWebsite System Requirements
* A Computer (with Keyboard)
* A ToddlerAuthor kwacky1

Description
Bub's are curious, bub's like to imitate.  You're always amazed at the way bub copies the things that you do, and laugh when you see her with one hand one the keyboard and one on the mouse like a true fps'er, but at the same time getting quickly frustrated because 'nothing' is happening.  And then she hits the magic combination to hack into the fbi, delete some important files and shutdown your computer.

The solution, CrazyLittleFingers.  I don't want to deny my bub the simple pleasure of tapping away at the keyboard mindlessly, she may well write the next great OS, or simply become a DC member like her dad (and then write a revolutionary new program, that's donationware, of course).

The aim of CrazyLittleFingers is simple, lock out all the keys on the keyboard, except for one that lets you exit the program, and remap each key to provide a reward for bubs exploration. For example, pressing 'g' will display a goat and bleat, while pressing 'c' will moo at you and display a cow.

Features

* Add your own images
* Automatically Scales Images to fit screen
* Supports bmp, gif, jpg, mov (quicktime), mp3, wav
* v1.1.0 - Compatible with Dual Screen configs
* v1.1.1 - Now Vista compatible
* v1.1.2 - Now supports Multi Monitor configurations
Planned Features

* Integrate IdleStart by App
* Add GUI Interface for advanced configuration
* Support more video formats
* Add support for png, ogg files
* Create more/better themes
* Add support for dual screen/multi monitor configurations
Usage
Installation
Unzip to a desired location, run CrazyLittleFingers.exe

Configuration
CrazyLittleFingers.ini

--- Code: Text ---[Main];Specify the theme to useTheme=Default [MyPictures];Change to True to source files from the default My Pictures folderUseMyPics=False ;Specify the full path to an alternative pictures directory here;MyPicsDir=
Using the Application
Smash keys until bored.
Ctrl-Alt-Delete to exit.

Known Issues

* System Beep on keypress every now and then.
* IMPORTANT: Press and hold Ctrl, then Alt and then press Delete to exit.
* CLF only searches subdirectories for photos when in my pictures mode, and only searches 1 level deep
* Mouse is not disabled

Perry Mowbray:
from personal experience?

I remember sitting with toddler at the keyboard, and it seemed to completely miss the point having to restrain hands and direct interest so closely  :D

kwacky1:
Yeah my 18month old DD loves to sit in my chair and 'use' the computer.  I got an old PS/2 keyboard, cut the cable off and gave it to her.  That kept her interested for about 3 seconds, nothings as good as the real thing.

I did my first round of proof of concept testing today (just testing keyboard capture at this stage), and it was great.  Because I'm not capturing the mouse, I launched CrazyLittleFingers and used the mouse to start a slideshow in Picasa, we all happily watched the slideshow while bubs pressed random keys and the slideshow kept on playing.

So I'm thinking there might be 2 features, interactive mode where bubs interacts with the program, or silent mode, where the program just sits idly in the system tray swallowing keystrokes, so you can leave your computer unattended while burning a dvd or what have you.

Perry Mowbray:
So I'm thinking there might be 2 features, interactive mode where bubs interacts with the program, or silent mode, where the program just sits idly in the system tray swallowing keystrokes, so you can leave your computer unattended while burning a dvd or what have you.
-kwacky1 (December 12, 2008, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

For slightly older, mouse aware, children you may also want to restrict the mouse?  :P

For even older, OS aware, children you may also want to password protect closing the programme and access to the Task Manager?   :P :P

Perry Mowbray:
System Requirements
* A Computer
* A Toddler-kwacky1 (December 11, 2008, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Will the Toddler be a download option?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version