ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collectorz.com Book Collector 6

<< < (3/7) > >>

Darwin:
I've been playing around with Librarian Pro, which is $29.95 and for which you receive a licence that allows you to install and activate under both Windows and OSX. You can also install it on as many machines as you like, as long as you're the main user of each machine. It will allow you to search Amazon for books, music, and dvd's and to specify the local amazon site you want to use (ie Canada, USA, UK, Germany, etc.). It will catalogue all media, including software, not just Books. Overall, it's pretty slick. I wish it would connect to more databases - at the moment it is almost as limited as are the latest generation of Collectorz apps. HOwever, it's only at version 1.4 and the developer may be receptive to adding more sources.

Reading through the link that Josh provided for Cloq above, this little gem caught my eye (posted by user MMMDI):

The old, cumbersome, disgusting way:
1) Type in the movie title - "Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash"
2) Click "Search", wait five seconds.
3) There it is on iMDB and DVD Empire. Click "Add"
--Done--

The new, totally awesome, automated way:
1) Type in the movie title - "Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash"
2) Click "Search".
3) No results found.
--Drats--
--- End quote ---

EDIT: grammar  :-[

40hz:
I use BookCAT from FNPrg.com. It costs $40 USD.

I tried a bunch of other apps and ended up buying this one. Not the cheapest - and for Windows only. Meh!

Nevertheless, of all the book cataloging programs, this one worked best for me.

They also have versions for music, DVD, software, and stamp collections.

You can download complete documentation, and 30-day full evaluation copies at the website.

http://www.fnprg.com/index.html

Note: If you're really into tinkering or rolling your own, the PDF documentation (available for download) provides complete MSAccess table listings which you could use as a starting point for coming up with your own database design.
 8)

Darwin:
Thanks for the note, 40hz. I've actually got a licence for SoftCat Plus Software Database lying around here somewhere. It was nice and quick but I didn't really use it much so unisntalled it. I'd forgotten that they do a range of cataloguing applications. Well worth a look  :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
40Hz: I have SoftCAT from the same developer and I love it - very nicely done program and also a helpful developer to boot.

I'll have to take a look at his book and movie collection applications.

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac:
BTW, I received a PM from Alwin at Collectorz.com in which he mentioned that a maintenance build for Book Collector 6 will be released next week that addresses my concerns. So I'm looking forward to that to see if it makes Book Collector more usable for me.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version