ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unknown service (can't find relevant info on the web)

<< < (3/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Don't know because I don't have the file to look at.

I have a few shared folders on my local Wireless Network - how can I beef up security to stop it happening again?

I am in a remote area - so it is unlikely anyone is hacking into my network via the wireless connection, so it must be arriving from the internet ... I have Sygate Firewall/NOD32 AV/Various antispyware apps some of which are actively monitoring my system usually when I am on line.

Innuendo:
mouser,
I misunderstood your question. You are right. It's best not to just do a knee-jerk reaction of deleting the file. Running anti-trojan programs and research on a search engine are definitely the first steps towards education and eventual eradication.

Innuendo:
Carol,
You may have been (un)lucky enough to get a new variant of that trojan. Perhaps one that wasn't coded right & didn't deploy properly. That happens all the time.

As far as wireless security, you are going to be wanting to run some kind of WPA encryption over there at the very least. WPA2 if your equipment offers it. If your equipment only offers WEP encryption then you should think about replacing it as WEP is an easily compromised algorithm.

NOD32 is a very capable anti-virus program. The anti-spyware apps are great to run as well, but I see nothing for trojan detection. That's not as important if you are able stop everything at the front door. You may want to start shopping around for a new firewall program. Sygate's product has got some bugs & it's been discontinued by the company. You're at a dead end, programming-wise.

I'm going to resist pitching Ad Muncher to you again, but I will point out that lots of individuals use Java, JavaScript & ActiveX to deploy viruses and trojans across the internet. Usually they are hidden in pop-ups and banners and such. To your system, your firewall, your anti-spyware apps,and your anti-virus they all look like standard web traffic.

Carol Haynes:
Interesting about Sygate - it would have been nice if they told their customers that they had sold out to Symantec (I have come to the conclusion that Symantec are a giant vacuum cleaner - it sucks up all the goodies and everything that then comes out of the bag is covered in crap).

Interestingly though:

Symantec will continue to sell the current Sygate solutions under the Sygate brand. In the next six months, the company expects to rebrand the next version of the products and include additional functionality. Thereafter, Symantec plans to integrate the Sygate technology into the company's existing enterprise security products.
--- End quote ---

that was posted on 10th October ...

Whatever, I now need to look for a new Firewall - I don't want to be dependent on Symantec again. The question is am I entitled to a refund on my Sygate subscription (which has over 12 months to run)?

Unfortunately I have Netsys wireless kit and most will support WPA2 but not all ... particulalry my wireless booster upstairs which only supports WEP (most of the repeaters only seem to support WEP that I could find when I looed recently)

Part of the problem is being in the UK ... there doesn't seem as much choice over here for wireless gear. Given that what I have is less than a year old I don't feel inclined to throw it away.

Having said that I figure WEP is perfectly adequate - I have enough trouble getting a strong signal in my own property and neither of the neighbouring properties are likely to be snooping (one is empty 90% of the time, and the other is a friend). I live in a tiny, remote village in a sprawling farm conversion complex - most of which is owned by retired 2nd home owners (and empty most of the year) - so I don't think wireless instrusion is at all likely any time soon.

I have to confess to installing AdMuncher - I did it pretty much as an experiment and have decided to use it after all. Actually I have had pretty agressive anti-popup stuff installed for a long time (mainly because I hate unwanted windows open) and I never allow ActiveX controls to install unless I know what they are!

Innuendo:
Carol, love your quote by Symantec. When they exclusively licensed AtGuard from WRQ they said the exact same thing. Before Symantec got their hands on it AtGuard was less than 3 MB in installer form and had a very small footprint when running. After Symantec got ahod of it they turned it into the lumbering behemoth that is Norton Internet Security.

I rarely praise & evangelize programs. Ad Muncher is one of the very few I think that is top notch & that I'll sound out and recommend. The author is top-notch & not only is his program better than other ad blockers he sells his for cheaper than all the others as well. I've just been waiting for a discount...which Mouser soundly secured for us all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version