ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft updates - annoying folder proliferation

<< < (3/3)

zridling:
One site I go to for help on these things is Annoyances.org

app103:
I have seen this before on 3 different XP machines, and something similar on a WinME machine.

I have one sitting in the root of my C drive right this minute.

In the case of all with XP, the folders all look like what you described and they show up after an OS update from Microsoft, smack in the root of any random drive they feel like appearing in, with names just as random.

The WinME machine was a bit better, because those folders were named in a way that you'd know it was from Windows Update..WUtemp. (they were hidden folders, though)

If you would like to know what to do with them, here's an article explaining where they come from and if they are safe to delete: http://ask-leo.com/can_i_delete_these_randomly_named_folders.html

f0dder:
Hm, interesting - so you get them after any random update, not just a service pack?

I wouldn't feel scared about removing them, although I'd probably do a reboot first, just to make sure any install/cleanup actions have (at least attempted to) run.

Carol Haynes:
Interestingly after my intial post I got a slew of Windows Updates. If you update through windows update you see nothing but if you manually download the patches then you see them unpack the files to a randomly named route level folder on the disc with the most space (I presume that is the criterion for choice as it seems pretty random and seem particularly stupid to select external USB drives!).

app103:
Ahhh..that might be why I have one now. I recently updated/upgraded .NET manually, since they didn't offer me 3.5 through Windows Update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version