ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Zaine's review of Compression Tools is cited in an excellent book on Compression

<< < (2/2)

Hirudin:
That's awesome!

Crush:
Congratulation Zaine!  :Thmbsup:

I would like this book - could be interesting. But some people wrote in reviews its not diving deep enough into the algorithms. A long time ago there were some revolutionary big new inventions about fractal compression - why aren´t there any till now?
About 15 years ago I  had a new (and unbelievable simple) idea to create a Crunch-Optimizer as a previous pass before others. I included it in my Democruncher and it was often significantly better than LHA that was the best one at this time. I wonder how it would effect nowadays compressors like 7Zip? After Cryptonizer there could be enough time to make another small NANY entry.

f0dder:
I would like this book - could be interesting. But some people wrote in reviews its not diving deep enough into the algorithms. A long time ago there were some revolutionary big new inventions about fractal compression - why aren´t there any till now?-Crush (December 14, 2008, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Because nobody ever mad it run fast enough that it would be a feasible method to use? If only compression had been that slow, perhaps it would be viable, but iirc decompression is as slow as compression?

zridling:
Thanks guys, I rarely visit this section. One of you guys needs to update that review or write a new one. It's showing its age!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version