ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DcUpdater

idea: Install program via downloading single .dcupdate

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
It should work right now as DCUpdater is. Just put the .dcupdate file into the desired directory and run it. DCU should then launch and do its stuff.

mouser:
unless as justice said, its a zip type.

justice:
Well a great way to easy installations!

Deozaan:
unless as justice said, its a zip type.
-mouser (January 13, 2009, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm fairly certain zip types would work too. Because when you open a .dcupdate file directly (instead of importing it from within DCU) then it will use the .dcupdate's directory as the "home" directory of DCU. That's why it won't show any of your other .dcupdate enabled programs.

justice:
Did a couple of short tests:
* copied over a .dcupdate file of one of my programs into an empty folder and ran it. As the dcupdate was current nothing happened even though no folder is installed (unexpected but makes sense - except when installing as we don't want to create a seperate dcupdate for installs)
* changed version to out of date one: dcupdate runs and says the installation is out of date and opens the .zip url in the browser resulting in a download box (unexpected as method used was unzip not visit. personally as I was hoping it would download and install it in the folder with the .dcupdate - it must do a check for the program and then get confused when it cannot find it).
* downloaded the latest FARR, extracted the .dcupdate file from it, downgraded the version and ran it: dcupdate downloaded the FARR installation exe and ran it, YAY. the installer isn't defaulting to the folder it is ran from - which makes sense as the installer wasn't built for this scenario).

Interesting findings anyway and should make it easier to add this feature if mouser thinks its a good idea :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version