ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 10.0 Alpha 1

<< < (3/4) > >>

Josh:
OK Lashiec, that may be the case, but after tracking opera since v5, I have noticed that most of the major additions to opera's major versions occur in the alpha/beta phase. If they were to add any of the things that a majority of the NON-Forum dwelling users want, it would surely appear in the alpha builds to allow bugs to be worked out, wouldn't you think?

Lashiec:
Since Opera does not have a public roadmap or public discussion lists like Firefox, we can only make assumptions about where it's directed. But in the Choose Opera blog, they wrote:

Note that this alpha release is not intended to show off the full feature set of Opera. It is the first public release of the Presto 2.2 rendering engine, which will be present in Opera 10, made available so you can start trying out some of the new web technology support.
--- End quote ---

And the timeline shows that the Alpha version includes the changes in the engine, and the beta the new features. Why new features in the alpha version? My take is that they have been worked on for a bit of time. After all, one of the developers, Olli, talked about auto update and spell checking in Opera 10 back in October. Besides, with some of the features, it's key they work as intended, otherwise it would mean major problems, so they give them extra time.

Of course, that means future new features won't be as big as they could be, so maybe we can forget about extensions for now :(. Or not, we can only speculate at this point.

Lutz_:
The 10 alpha works great for me; fast indeed.
The criticism about the lack of features does not seem warranted - please see the bottom of the page:
Opera:Next
The already added features are nothing to sneeze at either, or?

allen:
So "new features" don't happen til Beta. Interesting.

I'm curious to see where they go, really hoping for a thorough GUI overhaul (so long as they don't deprecate the true MDI for standard tabs), things have felt convoluted, to me, for the last several versions.

I'm definitely noticing a speed increase and Gmail seems to be working in it better than in previous versions which is, for me, really something. Gmail was the biggest reason Opera wasn't serving as my primary browser any more.

urlwolf:
But Allen, were you not using M2 as your primary client? (Oh, spell check works ;) finally! ). Have you moved to gmail?

In my install of Opera 10 alpha the windows menu is gone; but you can still tile pages right clicking on the tabs.

The scrolling (one of Opera's best features) is kind of jumpy in 10.

The one gripe I have is that with Opera you never know if you are missing some functionality from a site; they are in fact the most incompatible browser on earth (baring text-only browsers). I don't think Opera 10 will fix this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version