ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 10.0 Alpha 1

<< < (2/4) > >>

justice:
very impressive is the webstandard webfont support try the examples here: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssatten

allen:
Even with that list, those seem like features which don't warrant a major version change. I really wonder how many MAJOR new features opera has added to warrant them being at V10 already.
-Josh (December 05, 2008, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is my impression as well. . . maybe they're fresh out of "big" ideas.

hpearce:
I certainly don't notice any speed increase whatsoever .  Ss for development, Opera is too busy satisfying the wants of their "geeks" to address the serious reguests of their "normal" users.

Ohh, it passes acid3 test ... let me rush out and ditch the browser that does what I want for Opera instead.

Josh:
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Opera is so proud that they are 100% standards compliant that they neglect other functionality in favor of said compliance. What good is a browser to me if I cannot do with it what I want? OOOH! It renders pages as intended, but it still breaks others which is not of a concern to me as an end user, just that they display properly. It doesn't let me work the way I want by adding things to my browser which make MY LIFE easier.

Lashiec:
It's an alpha guys, Opera Software has clearly stated the full feature list will be unveiled as 2009 rolls along. At least one thing it'll surely get is a redesigned GUI, hopefully a *new* one instead of a light facelift with a different skin. Jon Hicks is working on it, so I expect great things there.

As for the features, there's nothing other browsers already have, even in the web standards department, BUT, they included some things long desired by the majority of users, so props to them. Also, it may be just me, but it seems like they're changing Opera's development method quite a bit, rolling out big features with each major version (alpha x, beta y, etc.), and fixing bugs in the weekly builds, instead of fixing and rolling features as they go, like it happened before. More Firefox-like, which hopefully it will be better for the overall quality of the final product (so I don't have to rant again :P)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version