ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New duplicate file finder... I am open to features suggestion

<< < (6/10) > >>

rjbull:
I like DoubleKiller, but setting it up is a bit of a PITA! I use it *just* infrequently enough to forget its idiosyncracies and have to fiddle around with it for a while before I can get it to return the result in which I am interested.
-Darwin (December 05, 2008, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think I quite understood your original point about indenting   :-[

You're more or less voicing  a "problem" I have with any dupe deleter in that (a) I don't use it very often anyway, so I have to semi-relearn it each time; and (b) since its main purpose is destructive, it's hard work to test exhaustively because your target disappears and you have to keep re-copying test set originals.

DoubleKiller's interface is somewhat unusual, but it's very good at what it does, and features like being able to look inside archives for files they contain that are duplicated on disk, can be a real bonus.

nharding:
One thing I was planning on writing on a DC++ modification (so that the same is not downloaded more than once) is to investigate the contents of a rar / zip file. So it would ignore the files, directory names, compression settings inside a rar/zip file, by getting all of the crc's & filelengths inside the rar/zip and then would be able to say Downloaded.zip is the same as Recompressed.rar.

I normally use the Duplicate File Finder mentioned above.

hpearce:
I'd like the option to specify source and destination (for lack of a better word) ... search for duplicates of those files in folder A where they are found ion B,C, or D .... BUT not between the latter (I.E. between B and C).

This allows for quick checks without having to re-do the entire thing.

rjbull:
search for duplicates of those files in folder A where they are found ion B,C, or D .... BUT not between the latter (I.E. between B and C).

This allows for quick checks without having to re-do the entire thing.
-hpearce (December 23, 2008, 05:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I understand it correctly, DoubleKiller does this with the concept of "fresh" and "library."  Files in the "library" areas are assumed to be free of duplicates (i.e., you already checked them), so they don't have to be compared amongst themselves.  The "fresh" ones are the new ones you don't know about yet, which have to be checked both against each other, and against the "library."

irh:
Milos

I've only just started using DupeTrasher so I apologize if I'm not familiar with all of it's features...

One thing I'd like is to be able to force a deletion from a particular drive rather than rely on oldest etc. For example I have 2 trees (or drives)  MASTER and COPY. I only want to remove duplicates from COPY and never from MASTER.

Is this possible?

Also one of the best tools I've used http://www.funduc.com/dupfiles.htm had an option to calculate MD5 or CRC32 hashes for a binary level comparison. Have you considered adding this as an option?

Finally, I spend a lot of time working on de-duping all sorts of files. So far no one has developed a tool that will reliably de-dupe Outlook MSG files. (The problem is that every MSG file is slightly different even when the same message is exported multiple times.) What is needed is a tool that reads some of the internal meta-data such as FROM, TO, SUBJECT, MESSAGE BODY etc. and uses this for de-dupe purposes rather than rely on MD5 or CRC32 hashes.

Is this something you would be interested in doing?

I'd be happy to share with you the procedures I've managed to use. Let me know: irh [AT] advancedforensics.com

Happy Holidays!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version