ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New duplicate file finder... I am open to features suggestion

<< < (4/10) > >>

mouser:
So beside city_zen's suggestions do you have any other ideas on how to help the software to best determine what to select?
--- End quote ---

i think in general some good options might be:
always prefer the parent folder, or always prefer child folder
or when i specify a list of directories to search for dupes, always default to removing the files in later folders and keeping earlier folders.

mouser:
As rjbull pointed out, DoubleKiller is a really good duplicate tool, you might check it out for inspiration:
http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/

Jan-S, the developer of DoubleKiller, also hangs out at DonationCoder.  :up:

4wd:
1. Possibility of detailed selection of drives and folders to scan/watch  - Implemented-city_zen (December 04, 2008, 11:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
-AsmDev (December 05, 2008, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

A bit late but....

The best interface I ever used for a duplicate finder, (as far as setting up for a search), was Duplicate File Finder 1.1.0.3 by Rashid Hoda, sadly no longer developed but still my main dupe finder.

New duplicate file finder... I am open to features suggestion

Everything you needed to set up a search was on the one window, you could select the folders on the left and they would be listed as you added them in the center-top, filters were immediately selectable below, basic comparison options on top-right, more involved accessed via buttons just below.  Sub-directories excluded/included and to what depth, hidden files/folders, etc, etc - all accessed from what I regard as a very well laid out interface.

4. Ability to select only certain file types to be scanned (i.e. only music files, only video files, etc.) - Implemented

--- End quote ---

Having only played with DupeTrasher 1.2 Demo, my suggestion is make a way to be able to deselect ALL filters.  It's a lot easier to deselect all and then select one than it is to deselect 20 just to leave one.

In Duplicate File Finder you can have multiple wildcards in a filter, (eg. *.jp* will filter *.jpg and *.jpeg), saves having to create multiple filters for similar extensions.

PS. OK, dumb question, what's the magic for adding an image as a thumbnail?
     Mine are always attached full sized  :(

mouser:
PS. OK, dumb question, what's the magic for adding an image as a thumbnail?
--- End quote ---
see here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1996.0

Darwin:
4wd - love that GUI myself  :Thmbsup:

I like DoubleKiller, but setting it up is a bit of a PITA! I use it *just* infrequently enough to forget its idiosyncracies and have to fiddle around with it for a while before I can get it to return the result in which I am interested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version