ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New duplicate file finder... I am open to features suggestion

<< < (2/10) > >>

rjbull:
I'd like results to be returned "nested" like this:

1. File name
----------->Location One
----------->Location Two
Etc.

I'd also like to see some sort of colour banding utilized so that differentiating between files is easier.
-Darwin (December 04, 2008, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean like DoubleKiller   8)

rjbull:
- Possibility of several "levels" of similarity between files. For example: a) exactly the same, b) same name, different size, c) similar name, same size, same date, and so on
-city_zen (December 04, 2008, 11:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Add to that, same root name but different extension, so you can flag e.g. ZIP and RAR archives that are really the same.

Curt:

1. File name
----------->Location One
----------->Location Two
Etc.

--- End quote ---

- maybe, but I would rather ask for two columns:

(clickable thumb):

It is important that the files are sorted according to their location, as in the photo, because in this example it was possible for me to just click once in the top of one of the columns and mass-choose doublets from one and the same folder only.

Darwin:
I'd like results to be returned "nested" like this:

1. File name
----------->Location One
----------->Location Two
Etc.

I'd also like to see some sort of colour banding utilized so that differentiating between files is easier.
--- End quote ---

You mean like DoubleKiller   8)

-rjbull (December 05, 2008, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - but I'd like the format to be as I typed it in above, ie with the filename presented as a header and the duplicate locations listed benath it, indented. It would be nice to have checkboxes next to the file location, too. If DoubleKiller Pro can already do this, I need to go back and RTFM  :-[

AsmDev:
Hey guys,

Darwin, all your ideas have already been implemented. Here is the screenshoot at current stage:

Kamel, I'll let you know once beta version is ready for testing, thanks!

1. Possibility of detailed selection of drives and folders to scan/watch  - Implemented
2. Possibility of several "levels" of similarity between files. For example: a) exactly the same, b) same name, different size, c) similar name, same size, same date, and so on - Implemented a) and b), as for c) it will be left for future version as I need to tune the algorithm for detecting similarities between file names
3. Ability to set that the older files in a pair/group are the ones marked for deletion by default - Implemented
4. Ability to select only certain file types to be scanned (i.e. only music files, only video files, etc.) - Implemented
--- End quote ---
Btw, about point 3. here, I was thinking more about deleting all files in group and leaving just the oldest by default since it is most probable that the oldest file is original and the newer files were copied later on. But in any case I think I will add an option for user to select what file is to be considered original "the oldest" or "the newest".

city_zen's suggestions are all good.
i also always like various options for setting how the program should select the default one to keep.
-mouser (December 04, 2008, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
So beside city_zen's suggestions do you have any other ideas on how to help the software to best determine what to select?
Btw there will be option to select all dupe files in specific folder, here is the screenshot:

Here you can click the the checkbox near each folder and all duplicate files (not regular files) will be automatically selected.

- Possibility of several "levels" of similarity between files. For example: a) exactly the same, b) same name, different size, c) similar name, same size, same date, and so on
--- End quote ---
Add to that, same root name but different extension, so you can flag e.g. ZIP and RAR archives that are really the same.
-rjbull (December 05, 2008, 05:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

So you are basically saying app should be able to detect 2 different archives with same content? Ok thats interesting idea, I will see what can I do about it.

Curt, if I understand right that photo is from app for duplicate pictures right? Well that kind of software is somehow different that regular duplicate file finders because photos with completely different name and content (eg. jpg, bmp) can be the same.
Also about columns, you said you'd like to see two columns but what if there are group of duplicates that have 3 or more same files? Well in that case I think a large number of columns would decrease minuteness.
Sorting is implemented of course, that is a must in any data handling software today.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version