ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: JustCloseSomeTasks 1.21

<< < (3/14) > >>

justice:
Aha! excellent :D great work Perry
That's not how it's meant to work but I'll be able to fix it now.

Perry Mowbray:
 :-[ I've not really programmed in AutoHotKey, I'm more used to AutoIt3, but that function was the only area I could see that things could go wrong, so I added a check for when the active window was skipped over (removed from the list).

The other small point is that I thought that I saw a line of code that should have brought in all the currently open windows (at least that's what the comment suggested I think). I'm not sure that was working: but I think it'd be an idea to get a list of currently open (minimized or not) windows and use the start time as the last active time.

BTW: I think this is a great idea  :D

justice:
I keep thinking it is easy to keep a list of windows, by time of last activity, but I find it a really hard problem! Mostly this is because autohotkey makes it so hard to keep an multi-field listing, so I'm considering to use sqllite just so i can use the sql syntax, which is ridiculous.

Anyway I uploaded v1.02 which improves the listing of windows, stops the list from emptying, but the active window doesn't get updated again when you revisit it so it's still useless except for helping me. ;)

justice:
Version 1.03
Date: 16:11:39, 09 December 2008
* Loop now shoes newest first, oldest at bottom
* Finally sorted out most loop bugs
* Checking for updates now runs without visible commandbox.

Ok this is the first version that can be tested for realworld use; I think I got the listing issues sorted mostly now.

justice:
I'm wondering what I can add further to this app, so if you have ideas and suggestions please post them!

I've been thinking about finding answers to central questions that affect the effectiveness of this app:
1. When does a task become inactive?
2. When is your taskbar organised?
3. Are these two problems or are we talking about the same problem?
4. how much control do people want over this?

At the moment I define inactive that a task isn't used for a certain time period. So when JCST is activated, all tasks that have not been active for X seconds get marked. With testing i'm changing the value of this setting a lot and have come to realize the optimal setting might be different for everyone depending on how you use your pc.

If however the goal is to have your taskbar organised, why not specify a maximum number of tasks you want running (the human brain finds it harder to distinguish between 8 or more items) and when activated JustCloseSomeTasks would mark all windows that have been inactive longer than task number 7 + when less then this number, any tasks that have been inactive for an long period of time (say 2x the average time for all tasks that were closed in the past). That way hopefully a better selection of tasks would be checked.

Perhaps I could bring this 'training' factor to the regular setting by having no tasks marked by default and letting the program learn from the user's action. That way no configuration is required. It could know how many tasks you have running normally and when activated either mark the surplus tasks or mark tasks as described in the previous paragraph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version