ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strange sites in my registry

<< < (3/3)

mouser:
first, when did we say these were in the hosts file?
second, if the hosts file pointed them to a nonexistent url or a special blocked url then it would serve as a block against them.

randiroo76073:
It's definitly host file connected, I've got a custom host file that runs to several thousands & I think they were all listed under that key[got tired of scrolling & cross cking] ;D

m_s:
I didn't mean that was its mechanism, but its result.  The sites listed in your hosts file and mapped to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 will not be reachable; my guess is that this registry list of strange sites is doing something similar.  

m_s:
Here's another little something from an antiquated discussion on a site called TechWeb (http://www.techweb.com/winmag/fixes/2000/0811.htm):

"For Internet sites, IE assumes they're in the Internet zone unless they're listed in the zone map, which you can find at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap . Of particular interest is the Domain key under ZoneMap. If a domain is listed in the zone map, it also contains the zone number it's been assigned. So, if you put doubleclick.com into the Restricted Sites zone, it would be listed here with a value of 4. There's also a Ranges subkey of ZoneMap that is used to block specific ranges of IP addresses. If you put an IP like "123.45.67.89" (instead of a domain) in the sites list, it ends up here."

So if something is listed in the ZoneMap, it does the same thing - I mean it has the same effect! - as when it's included in the Hosts file and mapped to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0

tinyvillager:
Thanks for reponses.Seeing how i've scanned with all sorts of scanners(rootkit,ant-virus;malware,etc)I think it's just part of a blocklist.Opera does imitate IE,so that might be something,don't know.I'm thinking it's nothing major
at this moment.Outpost tracks all incoming and outgoing and i've never seen them show up in the outpost logs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version